Chapala.com Webboard

Chapala finally admitted the obvious

From the last GDL Reporter:

CHAPALA CONSIDERS FAIRER SPENDING FOR SATELLITE TOWNS

"Ajijic could obtain additional municipal funding next year thanks to an initiative proposed by Chapala government solicitor Gamaliel Soto Perez, a leading council member of the city council.

Earlier in the month as a member of the council's Treasury and Budget Committee, he presented an alternative 2024 budget plan, suggesting that the city's annual expenditures be distributed more equitably among the municipal seat and five satellite towns.  The formula would be based on current official population figures and the amount of revenue each delegation generates for the municipality's general fund."

"...The concept will certainly be welcomed by the residents of Ajijic who have long felt the tax revenue collected for the town's high real estate values and rates for water and sewage services puts far more money into the municipal coffers than it gets in return."

GDL Reporter, January 6-12 edition, front page.

Imagine, one day we might finally be able to show our visitors our tax dollars at work here in Ajijic instead of having to drive them to Chapala to see same.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mkshawn said:

I am curious about where Atotonilquillo is located?

https://en.mexico.pueblosamerica.com/i/atotonilquillo/

"The town of Atotonilquillo is located in the Municipality of Chapala (in the State of Jalisco). There are 7,004 inhabitants. In the list of the most populated towns of the whole municipality, it is the number #3 of the ranking. Atotonilquillo is at 1,569 meters of altitude.

You can find it at 13.4 kilometers, in direction Southesast, from the town of Chapala, which has the largest population within the municipality. To enjoy the Atotonilquillo location through satellite images, at the bottom of our webpage you have an interactive map."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, ibarra said:

https://en.mexico.pueblosamerica.com/i/atotonilquillo/

"The town of Atotonilquillo is located in the Municipality of Chapala (in the State of Jalisco). There are 7,004 inhabitants. In the list of the most populated towns of the whole municipality, it is the number #3 of the ranking. Atotonilquillo is at 1,569 meters of altitude.

You can find it at 13.4 kilometers, in direction Southesast, from the town of Chapala, which has the largest population within the municipality. To enjoy the Atotonilquillo location through satellite images, at the bottom of our webpage you have an interactive map."

Not that some will see this, but just more misinformation on this site....

Is that town like Atlantis and sunken? The information I find is it is co-located with Atequiza, North East of Chapala...

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 12-05-58 Google Maps.png

• Haha 1

From Wiki:

Politics (from Ancient Greek πολιτικά (politiká) 'affairs of the cities') is the set of activities that are associated with making decisions in groups, or other forms of power relations among individuals, such as the distribution of resources or status. The branch of social science that studies politics and government is referred to as political science.

This thread seems to fit the bill... eh?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, OldWEB said:

From Wiki:

Politics (from Ancient Greek πολιτικά (politiká) 'affairs of the cities') is the set of activities that are associated with making decisions in groups, or other forms of power relations among individuals, such as the distribution of resources or status. The branch of social science that studies politics and government is referred to as political science.

This thread seems to fit the bill... eh?

Based on your broad description of what is political discussion  A thread about paying predial, refrendo would be political as those taxes are decided by the current govt. administration. . A thread about repairs on a street would political because it is a government function by the new administration. 

Thankfully the moderators here are a bit more logical.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mostlylost said:

Based on your broad description of what is political discussion  A thread about paying predial, refrendo would be political as thosr taxes are governmental. A thread about repairs on a street would political because it is a government function by the new administration. 

Nope, totally different... read my "broad description".

The rules keep getting thrown in my face.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OldWEB said:

At the very bottom of every page, in the center, you can contact the Administration by clicking in Contact Us.  IMO you need to voice your questions/concerns with them as the members of this Board did not make up the rules.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate Señor Pérez trying to help Ajijic. Some communities pay larger taxes  and it would be appreciated to get the tax pesos we pay in Chapala for funding from our taxes for infrastructure. Water sewer systems and maintenance of the cobble rock roads. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OldWEB said:

You started a thread specifically about upcoming partisan political elections in three countries which is very specifically avoided here.  That is the only time you have posted anything that required removal by a moderator, me actually.  I got a number of complaints about it from other members.

This thread makes no mention of any political person beyond the one who made the proposal for equitable funding.  That is a policy matter and as the majority property tax payers in this municipality it is of direct interest to us.  

The distinction is clear even if it escapes you.  Policies which affect things like security, infrastructure, traffic, public works spending and the like are very much permitted discussion topics here.  Things like elections, political persons or parties are not.

Those of us who have lived here for quite some years, and the local Mexican community as well, are well aware of Ajijic being used as a cash cow by Chapala.  Some years ago a local Mexican attorney actually took the time to look at the tax rolls and concluded something around 70 percent came from Ajijic and immediately adjacent.  That revelation went nowhere as far as spending was concerned and if anything, the various Chapala governments, regardless of party or persons, seemed to spend even more of Ajijic's tax dollars elsewhere as time has gone on.

Hence the terrible condition of the streets in Ajijic which IMO have declined to worst ever in my 15 years here.  Thus far I see no evidence that Pueblo Magico has had any real impact on things like the potholed and often trashy streets and the broken benches on the Malecon. 

You are welcome to contact the Board Administrator, "Chapala" with your complaints.  

• Like 4

I posted a Charlie Chaplin speech, my bad for referring it to any election "in principle", it was just for a general thought-provoking idea. It was/is a great speech.

What is posted at the top is TOTALLY a government procedure and a government policy by elected government officials that are real, unlike the Chaplin speech... if that is not politics... Also, even if it was not mentioned above, Chapala's mayor is mentioned in the full article.

How things are run, services, etc. are the end product and how they came about and decided on, now that would be political by elected people. I don't see how that escapes some.

I have NO complaints 'cept the one that I ask to see the "rules" but keep getting the run-around, why?  There are no rules maybe? Maybe there are only fief rules?

Again, you are confusing partisan politics with general and mostly long standing policies that directly affect local residents and that are OK on this board.  Your interpretation is incorrect.  Stop repeating it.

Any other concerns please address them to Admin and cease hijacking this thread. 

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2