Chapala.com Webboard

solar power inverter error message - trouble shooting advice appreciated

feewee

Hello to the solar power experts on this forum - I am looking for any advice or insights that may lead to correcting an error message on my Sunny Boy solar power inverter.  The error code is 3501.  This is what I found on the web to explain the code:  there may be a ground fault present. The electrical insulation from the PV system to ground is defective or insufficient.   

This doesn't mean much to me  -  I assume it is serious and will require a professional to repair?  But hoping there is a slim chance that there is something I can do myself without getting electrocuted?! 

If a professional is required, any recommendations are appreciated. 

Thank you!

Turn off the breaker(s) on the solar system only then turn them back on again after 5 minutes. If that does not get rid of the error code then you may need a professional to check it out. That professional should be the installer of the system since many of the parts are under warranty for a long time.

I doubt if turning them off will help.   Somewhere on your system the resistance to ground is low,  Its possible the insulation on a wire has been rubbing against something and is getting thin. it's not shorting to ground yet but it probably will if you don’t fix it. It’s not something you can fix yourself, You need an expert with the right equipment to troubleshoot it.

Totally agree that it needs to be checked out thoroughly and soon. I was hoping that the OP would post what happened and who their installer was. In a pinch, contact Go Solar (Ron Magen) on this forum or Nyah Walters of Opiere Solar 331-400-2646. Nyah came to confirm that I had one bad microinverter when I had a terrible time getting my installer to come out from Guadalajara a few years ago. Go Solar also helped when I had another problem just recently... which was solved by flipping off the solar breakers and then flipping them back on. All fine since. Sometimes electronics just throw a hissy fit and are reset by a time out.

Hi Everyone  -  thank you for your comments...and here's the much awaited update...

Unfortunately turning the unit off and on again didn't do the trick - but it was the first thing that the installer advised as well - so, Ferret, you were right on point with that advice - gracias!  The installer sent a crew to my house literally immediately following my contacting them - very proactive and customer focused! They worked on it for about an hour and told me to wait until morning to ensure everything had reset properly.  Well I am very pleased to report a solid green light this morning.  

Never sure if we're allowed to mention people/vendors by name on this forum but since others in this thread have done so  -  I'd like to send a major shout our to Nyah Walters and the Opiere team.  They stand by their work/products and they couldn't be more pleasant to deal with.  Thank you, Nyah and team!

Happy and Safe Holidays to all, FeeWee

• Like 5

On 12/20/2023 at 11:40 PM, Ferret said:

contact Go Solar (Ron Magen) on this forum

Absolutely amazing team and service; I have been very happy with Ron and STI Solar Technology; top quality latest products and my new solar and energy storage backup system is working great; I never have to worry about CFE increasing outages (or increasing prices!!!......).     Love it, love it, love it.      

• Like 2