Chapala.com Webboard

Good cellular carriers in Ajijic?

Jim Sweet

T-Mobile service is good in Ajijic.  I consistently have a 4G signal.  There are areas were 3G is persistent.  I’ve noticed this above the Caratera.  I have a Magenta 55 plan that includes unlimited voice, text and a reasonable amount of data for Mexico.  Check your plan.  

T-Mobile US  partners with Telcel while in Mexico. One does not have to do anything after crossing the border to switch the service.  But 5GB of data per month is all the data you will get before it reverts to 3G (useless). My experience is that your phone will still *think* it is in the US so dialing Mexican numbers requires the +52 prefix. Works just fine.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 4:24 PM, Jim Sweet said:

We will be visiting Ajijic for 2 months, and are wondering who the better cellular carriers are.  Has anyone out there used T-Mobile?  If so, what's your experience been like?  Any comments on this topic would be appreciated.  Thanks,  Jim Sweet

What are you needing?

I had a Verizon plan before a trip down here but knew that they wanted $10 Dollars per day for usage in Mexico so I switched to T-Mobile Magenta 55+ prior to a trip down here last year.  My unlimited data ran out after about 4 days and they switched me over to a lower speed.  At the lower speed I was unable to stream anything on my phone, barely use my laptop with a mobile hotspot, and I couldn't even play a basic game on my phone.  I switched to AT&T prior to my next trip and it worked perfectly.  I think I pay about $80/mth for unlimited but I brought my own phone and insisted that I wanted a month to month contract.  It might be cheaper if they lock you into a 2 year plan.