Chapala.com Webboard

Be careful what you throw out in the garbage

ARIBOY

Checking my street security camera,  at 2AM , someone walking by the house and is looking at the two garbage bags i put out  on the street earlier in the day.

Plastic bag 1 had  normal garbage, the dude gets into the bag and takes something.  I checked this morning, and the missing item that was taken was a plastic envelope with my name and address on it.

Plastic bag 2 was full of shredded papers.  The dude looked at the bag, and took the whole thing with him.

Why would someone take shredded paper plus a plastic envelope with my address on it is a bit suspicious  .  maybe looking for personal data for evil purposes - who knows, but in the future, all my papers will be shredded before being placed in the garbage.

Anyone else with similar experience  ?

57 minutes ago, ARIBOY said:

Good advise, however as it turns out, the garbage folks did not come that day, so it stayed all night

So don't leave it out over night for dogs and prying eyes.

• Thanks 2

Recently got a tip from a neighbor.  Any papers that you don't want anybody to see (and if you don't have or trust a shredder) can be safely discarded like this.  Get a bucket of water with a little detergent in it and soak papers for about an hour.  Remove the mushy papers and wad them up one or a few at a time into a very tight ball.  They can be ripped apart a little as you remove them from the water.  Once you have a softball size wad of mush just leave it in the sun on the patio until it dries.  Might take a day.  Once dry, nothing can be removed except in very tiny and unreadable scraps.  Then throw the balls into your regular trash.

I've tried it and it works great.

Alan