Chapala.com Webboard

Cafe Cairo update

Shira

Wael has closed el Faron and is newly ensconced in Cafe Cairo, It is not located on the plaza. It is on the parroquia diagonally across from the Marcos Castellano school as you drive towards the plaza. It is on your right.

The place is twice the size of the old place and is lovely.

He has a much enlarged menu from the last time I was in el Faron. I had a wonderful a wonderful chicken shwarma sandwich. My lunch partner had a platter with an entree and a choice of two sides. We were both happy and full when we were finished.

If you liked the old place you will love this one. If you haven't tried it now is a good time.

Yes, it's where the short-lived Red Dragon died, across from the school. But it's bigger I think as Wael took two adjoining bodegas and combined them. I walked in today to say hi and look at the menu which is definitely much expanded. I asked Wael specifically about El Faraon and he said he was going to try to keep it open, but today workers didn't show up, so he had to close it. Don't know how he can try to run two places, and he didn't sound like he was sure about it either. Regardless, the new place looks really nice and I'm happy for his success. I'm sure we'll be eating there more than we had at El Faraon. It's so great to have the option of something different and tasty. He let me know that everything on the new menu was "really good". :D

Six of us were there on Sunday - he's going to be open 7 days a week from 12 - 9. I am SO GLAD that he's in the village as I'll be walking there frequently. Everything was good - from schwarma to kibbe to kofta, egyptian salad, potatoes cairo were yummy as well as the usual hummus, etc. More beverage choice and different desserts of which there will

be two specials a day... He's going to try making Umm Ali - original to Egypt but all the Arab countries have their own variation of bread pudding.. Think cardamon and pistachios...

Glad to hear he hasn't left! I could not live without my weekly shwarma fix, and the occasional falafel (which I affectionately called 'camel dung' when he had that little stuffed camel hanging from the ceiling above the prep counter). Just hope there is parking available, as it is a great location for village dwellers, not so easy for us hicks from the sticks who need a fix.

We went today and the food was great as was the service. However, the music drove me to distraction. I know I should be able to tune it out and I wish I could but it doesn't work. When I spend money to have a good meal out I would also like either quiet or soothing music that aids the digestion :)

Had another really good meal there today. I ordered, of all things, the "Egyptian Fajita" just so I could say I've had one. Really delicious stir-fried chicken with onion, green pepper, green olives, olive oil and other tasty accents/seasonings. Delicious. For my two sides, I chose Tzatziki (yum) and babaganoush (more garlic, more yum). Partner had some kind of meatball entree (Kibbeh?) which I tasted and liked also.

It's such a treat to be able to get truly tasty food in a town filled with so many places that serve bland. Even if you don't know this style of food well - I certainly don't - you should give Cafe Cairo a try. It's aces.

Just returned from having dinner there, and all I can say is...HEAVENLY!! If you like Middle Eastern food you must go to Cairo Cafe. We ordered the platter #2 and it was enough for both my husband and I. As a matter of fact it was so good I over ate, which I rarely do, but it was soooo delicious. We must patronize this place and make sure he stays here because I for one would be heartsick if he left. Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Archived