Chapala.com Webboard

Best eating in Riberas

rafterbr

I have ate at every cafe, restaurant, food stand in Riberas and the best eating is---- a young woman with several kids sells tamales at the Oxxo/Pemex corner from 6:30 pm mon-fri until sold out.  She has corn,pollo, and pork tamales at 15 pesos each.  I don't usually like tamales but these are good. My favorite is the corn.  Across the carrettera from her a young man starts preparing tacos and other fast foods on a large grill around 7 pm.  It is mostly to go but the store front opens up and their is seating on a platform.  I enjoy eating tacos with a coca cola in this semi-open space.  To me these two are the best eating in Riberas and at a reasonable price. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Husband likes Elaina's taco stand around the corner from Ladrone's. Open most days about 10 - 3. 

I follow Judy King's advise about street food. Eat only at places that have running water so hands can be washed occasionally. 

I agree with what you say.  The tamales arrive wrapped so no problem there.  Although I probably don't want to see her kitchen and the taco's, they have water and appears to be a clean operation.  I agree with husband some of these stands have very good food.  I think we gringo's sometimes overlook a Mexican way of life.  I was told long ago to eat the Mexican street food where the Mexican's eat.  My Mexican wife doesn't totally agree, she enjoys the fine dining 

On 8/11/2022 at 12:56 PM, rafterbr said:

I agree with what you say.  The tamales arrive wrapped so no problem there.  Although I probably don't want to see her kitchen and the taco's, they have water and appears to be a clean operation.  I agree with husband some of these stands have very good food.  I think we gringo's sometimes overlook a Mexican way of life.  I was told long ago to eat the Mexican street food where the Mexican's eat.  My Mexican wife doesn't totally agree, she enjoys the fine dining 

While Mexican street food is frequently very appetizing, tasty, cheap and pretty healthy eating, the after effects may be pretty bad for us Gringos. I speak from personal experience. I was glad (years ago) for the Ajijic Clinic being close by and only 100 pesos to see the doctor. Since then I've stuck with places that cater to a fair amount of Gringos and no further food-borne issues.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

While Mexican street food is frequently very appetizing, tasty, cheap and pretty healthy eating, the after effects may be pretty bad for us Gringos. I speak from personal experience. I was glad (years ago) for the Ajijic Clinic being close by and only 100 pesos to see the doctor. Since then I've stuck with places that cater to a fair amount of Gringos and no further food-borne issues.

I have never had your experience with Mexican street food because I get it where I see the most Mexicans gather not gringos.

• Like 1