Chapala.com Webboard

Another Take on Being Lectured by a "Green Person"

pappysmarket

60 years ago the word population was 3 billion.  Now 7.7 and still going up to a projected 9 or more.  As more of them rise above the level of basic subsistence there is simply no way the environment can handle the waste products and associated damage.  India, already a hell hole of over population is projected to gain another 400 million and China 200 million, more than almost twice the entire population of the U.S.  Even if the latter cut pollution in half it would be a drop in the bucket in the face of the rise of emissions and solid waste trash from just these two.

Malthus wasn't wrong, he was just too early because he didn't anticipate the green revolution would explode food production.  However, said revolution is precariously supported by the explosion in the usage of fossil fuels which is driving the increase of CO2 and has no practical substitute if/when the oil starts to run out. 

Probably more damaging in the short term is the deluge of non degradable plastic which is flooding land and water killing everything in its path.

It is silly for a bunch of privileged and shallowly indoctrinated  kids to lecture anyone while burning up a lot of energy and leaving trash everywhere with their gatherings when they have no clue what the real level of sacrifice would be to actually slow let alone reverse, the pollution of this planet.  Frankly, even if all of us went back to subsistence level, there are just too damn many putting out too much crap at this point to stop the coming environmental/population crash.  And that includes them.

• Like 1

Many of the people I deal with are living like people were 100 years ago and  they go and get water at the well, they cook on wood fire.. and the wood is being depleted faster than ever and the pollution from the smoke is high. and so on.. No it was not all wonderful in the old days.. there is a reason why everyone who could changed and adopted a new life style. With the event of health more people are coming to this world and the world is getting overpopulated.. not question about it.

• 2 months later...

That little old lady probably grew up in the Great Depression, which wasn't limited to the US. There wasn't much waste because nobody wasted ANYTHING. Nobody could afford to do so. Clothes were darned instead of thrown away, nobody left food on their plates, and there were no plastics. I would like tomsee these young people live like that generation did, and be grateful as that older lady was when there was enough work, and enough to eat for that day.

The sanctimony of all that, with today's affluence,  is just insufferable. 

I grew up in Europe after the war and we had little, some people were happy to work for room and board.. My grand mother had a woman living in the house who did nothng but mending and ironing clothes all day.. She mended socks on the ivory eggs and stocking, sweaters, undid old sweaters and made new ones with the old wool.. people had no cash and no extra things and that  included some of the upper classes in the country. They had land but not much else then everything changed and everyone went crazy.. that s liife things come and go.. we will go back to being frugal or will kill each other when there is not enough for everybody..

I remember that the countess Pichon de Longueville Baron  in the 80´s  telling me how poor they were during the war... She had large properties but no cash, people lived and worked on her estates for room and board..and then things changed.. they demanded salaries, moved out of the old farm houses and built new modern houses and the countess became rch again selling her expensive wines...

• Like 1