Chapala.com Webboard

Booked a Trip in Oct - What about Travel Advisory?

When  I travel in Europe I do not make sure I have my papers in separate wallets than my money, I do not hide cards or money throughout the car, when I get stopped by police I never think" are they real police or am I going to lose the car.".. I sure do not feel as safe in Mexico than I do in Europe .

. I am going to Paris next week and I am not worried either.. get serious guys you are kidding yourself. You did not live in the ghettos in the States   and as an other poster says compare apples to apples , Ajijic is not Chicago or Los Angeles .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel fairly safe here but that is because I have much more security around my home than I needed in Canada.and I am very alert and aware when I drive around (dummy wallet, doors locked, a handy weapon, etc). On Sunday afternoon there were two breakins in the afternoon nearby in my fraccionamiento. There have been gangland type murders in nearby San Juan Cosala and Jocotepec. In these towns the locals are very cautious about going out at night.

What is your point? That Canada does not do a very thorough job in attempting to alert and protect its citizens as the US does?

The Canadian government does an excellent job in protecting its citizens but the Canadian government minds its business and do not bully itself in other country business, does not want to build walls and welcomes Mexicans, NO visa necessary for Mexicans to come to Canada, does not bans Muslims and does not discriminate on the basis of country of origin, religion or skin colour, and welcomes refugees.

I've lived in Mexico for over 13 years and haven't been burgled, suffered violence or had any bad experiences.  However, my home is well secured and common sense is followed by not wandering out at night, and always being aware of my surroundings.  I live in a mixed expat and native Mexican downtown neighborhood and I feel just as safe or safer here than I did living in either big cities or country towns in California.

There's been good advice issued by many people before:  It's not a good idea to go out and about with golden bling showing or flashing a message of wealth. Men:  Keep your wallet where it's not easy to lift it and for women, keep your purse attached to your body, not in the shopping cart. 

Have a good visit in a great country.:D

Archived