Chapala.com Webboard

La Una: Lovely setting and excellent meal

Mainecoons

Esposa and I ate at La Una yesterday evening. First time for me, she's had lunch there several times and liked it.

We had a before dinner drink and then we both ordered the new item on the menu, Vacio and both ordered it medium. It came prepared properly with nice sides of a prepared baked potato and vegetables. We each had a glass of red wine with the meal and finished with sharing a dessert that had chocolate and nuts.

Everything was delicious and ample, service was competent (they forgot to remove the side plates at the right time however) and the bill came to $785 with tip. The restaurant has a nice understated air of elegance to it that reminded us of similar places in New Mexico, notably Corrales. Not surprising since the owners of La Una actually lived just a few miles north of us there, we lived in the North Valley, they lived in Corrales.

It is a calm and pretty restaurant, no loud music (thank you!) and you can either eat indoors or outdoors. Lots of space between tables meant no crowding.

My only criticism was the charge of 65 pesos for an OK house cabernet and an adequate but not generous pour. Other than that, it was great and we'll return.

I hope the wine and ambiance is worth the 500+ pesos more than what we spent at Tango for two vacio dinners (400 grams ea.), excellent meat, with a choice of salad, vegetables, or potatoes as a side. The service was impeccable, so I can't be moved that much to spend another 500 pesos due to your review.

Glad you enjoyed it and thought it worth the money...I'll pass.

I'll say it again: If you want wine with dinner, you'll have a better choice and save a bunch of pesos if you order a bottle and take what you don't drink home.

Also, I agree with those who say that meal sounds overpriced in comparison to other steak places.

2 Cocktails, 2 main courses, 2 glasses wine, and 1 dessert. Doesn't sound too far off the mark to me. Slainte, did really have the same for $285 at Tango? I doubt it.

Exactly. Certainly more expensive than Tango but equally certain not twice as much. Also much less crowded and noisy.

Reread my post, I said "I hope the wine and ambiance was worth the 500 pesos more than the meal (basic entrée), cost at Tango.

2 Cocktails, 2 main courses, 2 glasses wine, and 1 dessert. Doesn't sound too far off the mark to me. Slainte, did really have the same for $285 at Tango? I doubt it.

I didn't say it was the same.

At Tango: 2 400 gram vacio steaks @ 130.00 pesos each plus one agua fresca @ 20.00 pesos = 280.00 pesos.

I hope the wine and ambiance is worth the 500+ pesos more than what we spent at Tango for two vacio dinners (400 grams ea.), excellent meat, with a choice of salad, vegetables, or potatoes as a side. The service was impeccable, so I can't be moved that much to spend another 500 pesos due to your review.

Glad you enjoyed it and thought it worth the money...I'll pass.

just in case you can't find it.

Couldn't have eaten another bite, no matter the cost. 400 grams is a 14 oz. steak plus a large serving of papas fritas on one plate and a big salad on the other.

You're right, we budget minded Mexicans are much noisier.

That's why so many of my friends and family drive out from Guadalajara just to eat at Tango.

The same meal at La Vaca Argentina is 2 to 2 1/2 times as much as it is at Tango.

And if that isn't expensive enough for you, try Lula Bistro, Santo Coyote, El Fogon del Pibe, or the artsy place in Plaza Andares...Vincent.

La Una, not my fave but would go there anytime instead of being sardined into Tango. Crummy stuffy joint.

The/we patrons who like/enjoy Tango are the same people who show up for "el buen fin" and think nothing about the "saradine syndrome" as we don't have to shout across the room to communicate with our friends. :lol: LOL :lol: One big happy family, but to each their own.

Our usual family and friends grouping can be 15 to 25 people, so you can see that the savings for a large group can add up in a hurry there.. If you have been there, you probably have noticed that it is popular for Mexican groups for birthdays, anniversaries, office parties, special occasions, etc.. etc., but that isn't exactly a drawing card for the NOB, expat crowd.

We used to go to Tango fairly frequently but found the steaks better at Bruno's when ambiance doesn't matter. We still will go to Tango but there are other choices now, La Una being one on the higher end of the scale.

I agree Tango gives great value for the money. Now if they'd just turn off the cheesy music which simply contributes to the noise level. It is a big reason we don't go there nearly as frequently.

If noise and crowds don't bother you, you'll get a good meal and a good deal at Tango.

Agree with the observation about GDL restaurants. They aren't cheap.

Archived