Chapala.com Webboard

Another thing Chapala isn't doing.

HarryB

All of the photo ops I see are based on state/ fed funded projects. There is a municipal contribution, but, it is the minor portion. property taxes, business licenses, water fees, I believe go wholly to the municipality. The hotel tax goes to the state with a portion returned to the municipality, as i think is true with IVA.

This would be a great area for an article in the Guad Reporter, no?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's don't get snarky Upfront.

Alex asked a good question here.

Alex, a couple of things occur to me and Harry, maybe Hector could give us some helpful answers here.

First, is the contribution over and above Chapala's direct collections ear marked in any way?

Secondly, do you have the equivalent number for Chapala?

That's a lot of money, I sure don't see much evidence of it in the municipality other than all those photo ops in Chapala Mr. Huerta has attended recently.

I really don't have the answers to your questions. I think half the total budget goes for salaries for municipal staffers and to pay for hourly workers. I have the impression that the state and feds specifically mandate what their funds are used for. This doesn't seem to leave a whole lot of wiggle room for the local officials.

And let me add this: Although they may be friends, Hector Espana and Joaquin Huerta are political rivals. Hector likes to irritate and embarrass Joaquin as best he can. You should keep this in mind in your dealings with the delegado.

There are no friends in politics. :)

I spend alot of time with and advising Hector. I know he shows the Presidente respect and likes him as a person. Unfortunately, the presidente doesn't know a lot about what his deputados are doing and it is them who take every opportunity to ring hector's bell. it isn't until Hector puts something in the papers that he can get ANYTHING for this village. As presidente, Huerta is done with politics as of september. He lost his bid to go on to state congress.

Archived