Chapala.com Webboard

Butcher question

Zeb

Puritan Poultry, beside S&S Auto in Riberas. Ground turkey and chicken. I don't have a grinder myself, and don't want one.

Duh! Thanks Computer Guy. I use ground turkey a lot but always get those chubs from Costco shudder to think what makes it in the grinder. Puritan seems a much better choice.

Favio at El Gordo Polleria grinds chicken to order,so you know what you're getting. same supplier as Puritan. He is located on the Carretera Ajijic half a block west of the light at Colon.His products are great and he speaks english too. To order ground chicken or other parts ahead of time call him at: 766-5882

If I am estimating correctly to convert to dollars, that is $4.60 a kilo div 2.5= $1.84 a lb. That's pretty expensive for chicken.

$1.84/lb sounds like a bargain to me! You can't compare a whole chicken with bones pound for pound.

In the US organic chicken breasts are $3.99/lb..Maybe cheaper if a store is running a special.

maw

At $70 MXN/kilo I'm getting around $2.12 US per pound using an exchange rate slightly under 15:1 and a kilo being 2.2 pounds. But I've never been good at this stuff. Ni modo. The price is what the price is. What is the price of ground chicken where you live, Zeb?

Boneless, skinless chicken breast are more than $2.00us/lb anywhere in the Estados Unidos ..Typically around $3.00...and this isn't even for the "organic"?? labeled chicken (whatever that is supposed to be)..Plus you now want it ground...PLEEASE!

Couple of comments. First, the exchange rate is below 15 again and even on bank to bank transfers the rate comes in at about 0.2 pesos less than the figure given on XE Currency converter.

Secondly, these purchases are from small local shops that sell mostly to expats. What would this cost at the markets in either Chapala or Jocotepec? Those would seem to me to be more reflective of the real price in Mexico.

It's 2.2 pounds per kilo not 2.5 as pointed out above.

Meat prices are really going up.

At $70 MXN/kilo I'm getting around $2.12 US per pound using an exchange rate slightly under 15:1 and a kilo being 2.2 pounds. But I've never been good at this stuff. Ni modo. The price is what the price is. What is the price of ground chicken where you live, Zeb?

I am currently NOB. I don't buy ground chicken. I buy it and grind it myself here. I have gotten on sale for $0.99 a pound, and regular price with no hormones, etc., at $1.68 a lb.

Boneless, skinless chicken breast are more than $2.00us/lb anywhere in the Estados Unidos ..Typically around $3.00...and this isn't even for the "organic"?? labeled chicken (whatever that is supposed to be)..Plus you now want it ground...PLEEASE!

I don't want it boneless or skinless. I want the bones and skin in it.

I am currently NOB. I don't buy ground chicken. I buy it and grind it myself here. I have gotten on sale for $0.99 a pound, and regular price with no hormones, etc., at $1.68 a lb.

Then welcome to Mexico, my friend.

Couple of comments. First, the exchange rate is below 15 again and even on bank to bank transfers the rate comes in at about 0.2 pesos less than the figure given on XE Currency converter.

Secondly, these purchases are from small local shops that sell mostly to expats. What would this cost at the markets in either Chapala or Jocotepec? Those would seem to me to be more reflective of the real price in Mexico.

It's 2.2 pounds per kilo not 2.5 as pointed out above.

Meat prices are really going up.

Yes. The calculation I made was in error. It is not 2.5 as I wrote. You are also correct in that I don't want to pay expat prices.

These are not expat prices. You might have to go to the market in Chapala, or San Juan Cosala, places like that, because Ajijic prices at the markets are definitely "touristfied"... but that applies to everyone.

Archived