Chapala.com Webboard

Melodious Blackbird?

I think I saw this in the bird feeder today. All black, about the size of a Brewer's but black eye instead of yellow. Anyone seen any around? They're supposed to beonly on the eastern seaboard. But what else could it be?

I have gracles nesting in a tree right beside my front door on the street. They are very aggressive and attack anyone going in and out of the door. I just cover my head and walk on. Babies will soon be big enough to fly away.

I'd like to know, too. These birds do not have yellow/white around the eyes, like grackles. They also have beaks much more shortened, almost like a small parrot. Their tailfeathers are much more fanned. They have a whole selection of tunes, too. When they fly, they are a deep, deep blue.

I'd like to know, too. These birds do not have yellow/white around the eyes, like grackles. They also have beaks much more shortened, almost like a small parrot. Their tailfeathers are much more fanned. They have a whole selection of tunes, too. When they fly, they are a deep, deep blue.

Your bird is a Blue Mockingbird. We are graced with several around our property. They seem to have an unlimited repertoire of song. They are much bigger than the bird I saw.

I believe your talking about the Zanate or great tailed grackle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great-tailed_Grackle

The bird I saw has no grackle tail but a rather short one. It also does not have a yellow eye.

I think you mean cenzontles.... cuitlacoche is the Aztec truffle and grows on corn.

No, I meant cuitlacoche. These bird names get confusing. The corn fungus is also called huitlacoche.

The blue mockingbird:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq9nAOzTLK-iPl1n_iAdjbzNK6Wk881TS5KSyAvFXsX0uNPVWUTA

This would also fall in the family of birds known as cuitlacoches. Since you say it's black (dark blue) maybe a Mimido Negro?

Computer Guy's bird is a Blue Mockingbird. In the case of my bird, the Mimido Negro (Black Catbird) is a Yucatan bird. Of course it could be a vagrant but it is blue-black where my bird is a dull black. So the Melodious Blackbird is still the most like my bird but it would have to be a vagrant blown off course or a bird bent on doing some serious exploration of the continent.

I know nothing about bird species ------ Have a question

There is a new bird in my huge Jacaranda tree--not visible Starts singing promptly at 6am pitch black outside-

only bird awake so very clear song-- beautiful long flute sounding like a trill- varies a little (reminds me of daughter playing flute) also hear it sometimes at dusk-

any ideas

Your bird is a Blue Mockingbird. We are graced with several around our property. They seem to have an unlimited repertoire of song. They are much bigger than the bird I saw.

I am so lucky to have some who sing to me in my garden. Maid and gardener call them "Mulatos."

Thanks for the local name, La Chula. We had many mockingbirds in the States. I'm very glad a relative is here too. I enjoy their endless musical variations.

I'm not convinced yet. Doesn't look all that much like the photo link. it is quite dark until it spreads it wings, but more notably the beak is short and stubbed, with a definite curve downward at the end.

The Blue Mockingbird has a red eye within a patch of black. No other dark colored bird has this. Also, it has a strong habit of singing for a while, perhaps 15 minutes or so, in one tree then moving to another and singing again. They change their songs throughout the day. It is difficult to see the red eye but it is the clincher for ID.

That sounds like the behavior. I will try to get a closer look next time they're near. I got me a pretty good pair of binocs in downtown Guadalajara for exactly this kind of thing. Thanks for all the info.

Archived