Chapala.com Webboard

Couple of interesting bird sitings - help with ID?

Today, in my front yard in upper Riberas, I saw two birds I've never seen before (and I'm always watching birds). The first was about the size of an American robin. The back was dark, the underside all white from beak to tail. The top of its head and back of its neck was rust-colored. It had a rust-colored stripe around the front of its neck. Though I couldn't see this next part very well, the eye area seemed to be black and white, maybe black eyes and white around the eyes or something similar. It was quiet, never spoke, and was interested in some of the birdseed. Anyone know what it may be?

The next bird I thought at first was a grackle (ticus). But looking more closely I could see the beak was huge, parrot-like and grey. The tail was not boat-shaped. The bird was all black with a long straight tail. It was also silent. It would get something from the orange tree then fly to the mango in the adjacent property. It did this several times. It seemed young and rather unsure but that may only be a perception. It reminded me of a small raven (but not a crow for some reason). Any ideas from the birders?

My guesses for #1 is a bobolink, for #2, how about a groove-billed or a smooth-billed ani?

Descriptions of bobolinks say all black - this bird had a prominent all-white underside.

The second bird strongly fits descriptions and pictures of smooth-billed anis. But the range maps show this bird only in the Caribbean and South America. If it IS an ani, it is WAY away from home. This happens, of course and I had an impression of awkwardness and unfamiliarity like it didn't know where it was. Thanks, guys. But I'd still like to know what the first bird was.

For the first one if you see it again see if you can describe the shape and size of it's bill and where it is hanging out-on the ground, up high, etc.

The smooth-billed Ani is found on the east coast of Mexico but the Groove-billed Ani is fairly common here.

We often had many smooth billed Anis around our place in upper Chula Vista but not in the past year. Accidentals are quite frequent and now we have a Squirrel Cuckoo in the woods across from our place.

For the first one if you see it again see if you can describe the shape and size of it's bill and where it is hanging out-on the ground, up high, etc.

The smooth-billed Ani is found on the east coast of Mexico but the Groove-billed Ani is fairly common here.

The first one hung out only on the ground and seemed to be interested in the bird seed on the ground. I didn't get a good look at the bill (bad birder!)

I think I saw a hump on the top of the bill of the ani so I guess that would make it a candidate for the smooth-billed species. But as you say, the range is more right for it being a groove-billed.

I can't find any bird that matches your first bird. Bullock's oriole seem to vary quite a bit. https://www.google.com/search?q=bullock's+oriole&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=THmBUcPyFsaSqgGuvICgBA&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1003&bih=590

I can't find any bird that matches your first bird. Bullock's oriole seem to vary quite a bit. https://www.google.com/search?q=bullock's+oriole&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=THmBUcPyFsaSqgGuvICgBA&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1003&bih=590

It is definitely not an oriole. No yellow or orange, just the rust-colored patch on the back of the head and neck. Otherwise dark on the back and white in front. I will watch for a view of its beak and other markings.

Did you decide that the first bird was not a cuckoo, as someone suggested? I looked for a picture and the colouring looked similar to what you described.

None of the cuckoo pics I've seen has the rust-colored patch on the back of the head and neck along with the dark back and all-white front.

Didn't get that PM, cstone. Will you try again?

• 3 weeks later...

Did you decide that the first bird was not a cuckoo, as someone suggested? I looked for a picture and the colouring looked similar to what you described.

Finally found it: it is a Rusty-crowned Ground Sparrow.

Archived