Chapala.com Webboard

Costco got to me

I'll admit it, I never scrutinize the checkout slip, for two reasons, first I don't want to hold up people behind me and second, I trust the establishment. Ok, so that's dumb and today Costco got to me for $263p. I had 5 items, 2 cases of coke lite, 1 vacuum bags, 1 9V battery pack, 1 gal blanco vinegar. When I got home I was hit twice for the batteries and amazingly, the checkout person at the door at Costco couldn't count any better than me. So, 6 items billed, only 5 hauled out - so, guess it's the usual, check your receipt. Will it break me? - probably not, but irritate me? - YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT.

Have done exactly that. Took it "home" to where I was staying, went back and explained what happened, no problem. Costco here in the U.S. is amazingly customer friendly. Haven't had to try this yet in GDL but the place gives off those good Costco vibes as well.

deleted by moderator

:)

I think Mainecoons has an excellent idea and ask for the manager, as they usually like to please foreigners. Good luck, as you have NOTHING to lose. Have had similar good luck at Sam's in Leon, Gto.

Exactly my point. It never hurts to ask, all they can do is say no.

I had 5 items, 2 cases of coke lite, 1 vacuum bags, 1 9V battery pack, 1 gal blanco vinegar.

You drove all the way to Costco and that's all you bought?

Costco in Mexica has the same superb customer service as NOB. We've benefited from it many times. Costco is one of the best run companies in the world, why would it be any different here?

Absolutely agree, hence my suggestion. We LOVE Costco and we think one of the big benefits of living Lakeside is having access to it while living in a foreign country. We notice that our Mexican friends and neighbors love it too. If you doubt this, visit one on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

deleted by moderator

things happen, people make mistakes. i sometimes forget to check the receipt @ superlake. i save it if its wrong, get a refund next time. glitner should keep it, show to manager. bottom line, it is the stores fault.

Glitner I hope you feel like you have been punished enough for DARING to point out a mistake that happened to you! Aparently you should not have driven there in the first place when you weren't willing to spend an obscene amount of money, and also how dare you try to blame Costco!

I hope you know that was tongue in cheek, and on a serious note, thanks for leeting us know as I shop there on a regular basis. Rather than blame you, I would have thought that with so few items in your cart that the door person would have caught it!

off topic but relates: superlake can double hit & also charge you for an items you didnt buy. look @ that receipt. i think its great we get to complain here, now i know its not just me.

I think Mainecoons has an excellent idea and ask for the manager, as they usually like to please foreigners customers. Good luck, as you have NOTHING to lose. Have had similar good luck at Sam's in Leon, Gto.

Costco likes to please its customers--your country of origin has no bearing on their customer service.

As I said, I don't shop for food by price, never have, but the cost of diet Coke did catch my eye, yesterday it was $136.70 for 24 or at today's exchange about $11.20. Last month when I was in Cal I picked up a Ralph's flyer and they were offering 4-12 pack 12oz cans of diet Coke for $10. So we're paying more than double? I'm used to paying for imported stuff, but Coke? Actually WalMart has imported cerveza from Guatemala cheaper than coke.

Isn't Coke bottled here?

There's just not a lot of competition here on many things. Much of the stuff here in Costco, for example, is one third to one half higher than the same stuff in their Texas stores. This is way beyond the cost difference attributable to the VAT.

A lot of things are cheaper, but on balance these days I think there are many places in the U.S. you can live as cheap as you do here now, although sans the fantastic climate. Also, I've noticed that the "big box" stores here are often higher for things than the mom and popz.

This is why I prefer to shop the tienditas, first , for the relationships in Spanish I can make with the folks, and second, to avoid the big boxes. Like Mainecoons said, you can be surprised at the prices in those big boxes. They do have their place. Sometimes, it is just convenient to run into a big box for the familiarity of being able to find that unique item you know will be there.

Once I got out of the city, I couldn't imagine going back there to shop for anything. But everyone's different. My thing is to go down on the street as close to the house as possible, pick up some groceries and call it a deal. I haven't been too excited about the tienditas here overall compared to the city, but I am still looking around. I have had to be careful with paying in those too as usually there is no slip given and I get home and there's some produce missing, nothing big,,,,,But now I stand there and watch more closely. It is easy to get distracted and I must admit, I am very trusting overall so I am not a change checker unless it is bigger money. I'm just not gonna sweat one avocado even tho I live close to the edge.

I've always accepted that Home Depot is higher, but they have the things I need. Food for me is minimal and only a "necessary evil" so I don't pay much attention, until this. And yes, Coke is bottled here and I may look into buying some Coke MX stock, when you see all the local folk walking around with qt. bottles, they must be doing exceptionally well.

I do track every receipt on a spreadsheet, it keeps me in touch with how I'm living. I don't count tips, but everything else on a monthly basis.

Archived