Chapala.com Webboard

Thanksgiving Dinner Reviews, please...

valbogyo

Getting prepared for Christmas. We have a group of 7, going for dinner. We prefer a later sitting. One of our group has difficulty hearing so we want to go someplace where it is open and people are not packed in like sardines.

I went to Manix last year. The food was outstanding, but we were stuck upstairs and felt like the unwanted relatives.

I wondered how Thanksgiving dinner went at the various establishments. In particular, the Nueva Posada. Reviews please....

Guest RevImmigrant

A group of us went to Roberto's. Four had turkey and dressing and 2 had the Steak Diane. Everyone enjoyed their food and, of course, the setting is lovely there.

Went to Telares, based on a friend's choice. Great buffet and especially good turkey. That was a surprise, since we've often been disappointed there.

In the spirit of giving them another chance after the good T-Giving meal, we went there for lunch yesterday and were very disappointed, once again. To be specific, I ordered the fish "a la plancha" and was unable to cut it with a fork, plus it was overly peppered.

Verdict: You never know.

We went to Mannix this year and met a friend and some of her friends (there were 16 of us). The food was over the moon wonderful, lots of moist turkey, a pork crown rib roast (which I've never seen before) which was amazing and lots of the usual sides and desserts. My only complaint about Mannix when it is busy is the noise. We could only hear the people sitting on either side of us and the person directly across -- so needless to say, having lunch with 16 people was pointless. However, my husband and I will probably be going back to Mannix for dinners based on how wonderful the food was. Hopefully, it won't be so noisey the next time.

We had been out of town and got back around 7:00 p.m. Did not think we could get reservations anywhere so stopped at Bubba's who we had seen advertised for Thanksgiving .... noticed there was only one car and thought that they might be closing. But, no, we were told they were not closing and had plenty. The white meat tasted strange, the dark meat was full of fat, the green beans were water logged, the dressing was dry and burned, all was cold including mashed white potatoes and yams ... except for the gravy that was poured over everything (including the green beans) except the dressing which was left cold, dry and burned. The pumpkin pie was wet. This cost $215.00 pesos each!!!! ... plus the drinks! We could not believe it ... left it on the table and went home to a sandwich and chips. There are many things that we enjoy at Bubba's and never expected this to be this bad. If I had been the owner, I would have not charged someone that left all the food and asked for the bill.

This was our first Thanksgiving in Ajijic and we wanted it to be special. We had a group of friends and we narrowed our choice of restaurants down to Roberto's or Nueva Posada. The group ended up choosing Roberto's mainly because of the price differential.

We had reservations for 3:30 PM and were seated immediately. The table was too small for our group and we were squeezed in. We had other friends that went with large groups and they had the same complaint.

The servers seemed to be somewhat tense and the service was way too quick with the drink order, appetizers, soup and salad courses being served all with in a half hour. Very rushed! A waiter even took my wife's bread plate, with a piece of buttered bread on it, while she was still eating.

We both had the turkey and I am sorry to say it looked like it had been carved with a hatchet. Not slices, just shards. Also the portions were too small for a man of my size ( not fat but big) The sweet potato, mashed potato and cranberry sauce servings all were a quarter cup at the most. The dessert was pie and the slice was miniature. All in all we were disappointed and should have chosen Nueva Posada, which we will next year.

Hopefully this posting will not inspire a raging debate as this was our experience only and others may have had a better impression of Roberto's

Generally at restaurants here (or anywhere for that matter) you'll get exactly what you pay for. If your decision in choosing a restaurant is largely based on pricing and doesn't give any real attention to quality then you'll probably get just what you deserve. Some here seem to forget what pricing has become back in the U.S. or Canada where dinner for two with a bottle of wine can easily exceed $200.00dollars and lunch for two with 2 glasses of wine can run to $100.00dollars easily. That's $2600.00MN and $1300.00MN respectively! When you spend $600.00MN for dinner for two with a good bottle of wine here that's $46.00Dollars so if one thinks that if they can spend much less than that in a decent restaurant offering quality food, clean surroundings and attentive service then they're simply dreaming and likely eating crap.

It's like the "two for one" dinner specials that generally result in the same amount of food simply presented on two plates or a slightly increased quantity of lower quality food . You'll get exactly what you pay for!

Hi Carnivore,

Well said !! Thanksgiving is not the time to skimp. Next year my wife and I will do our own thing and if anyone wants to come along they can.

Also your point about the two for one dinners is well taken. I tried that ONCE !!

We had TG dinner at Armando's Hideaway. Nice sit down dinner (not buffet), tasty food, reasonable prices, not crowded. We had reserved a table for two and they did not have us on their reservations list (one demerit), but they had a small table available except we ran into some friends eating there and joined their big table. Overall a very nice experience.

Archived