Chapala.com Webboard

Pets in Cabin on Airlines

tomgates

Looks like Mexico has banned pets traveling in cabin on airlines effective yesterday. Must now travel in the climate controlled pet cabin in cargo. Hardside carrier required.

I don´t know what the problem is with Mexico and pets.... Some Mexican airlines don´t even accept them in the cargo hold.

Try travelling on a bus with a doggie..... I have seen live chickens flying through busses and in the dark hours roadges crawl everywhere on the same busses, but a clean well behaved small dog, oh no.

ARGH! Rony, we feel your pain...We, too, travel all over the world and throughout Mexico and continue to marvel at the difficulty we have with traveling with well behaved, clean, small dogs while in Mexico.

We also see livestock transported with ease but when a domestic animal (small dog) enters into the picture, it seems to confound and confuse....

It's for this reason that we have to drive long distances throughout Mexico as we simply cannot and will not put our dogs in the cargo hold of a plane. When flying internationally, we have found only COPA (Panamanian airline) to accept pets in cabin for flights to South America. We've used them several times. I will have to check now and see if they still permit this as well as several US based airlines who, in the past, have permitted them to ride in the cabin.

Hope you're enjoying your adventures....Did you choose to check out San Cristobal? It's lovely!

Valerie :)

We are being told by Alaska Air that flying out of GDL, our dog will have to be in cargo in an approved carrier. Once thru customs in Los Angeles, we can have him in cabin the remainder of the trip. Ditto for the return to Mexico, in cabin while in the US and in dog cargo from LA to GDL. Not too bad for the spoiled pooch!

First off, I'm a pet lover, so don't jump down my throat about this...

I have to kind of agree with them not allowing pets in cabins. What about the people on the plane that are allergic to the animals? I have friends that are allergic to both cats and dogs - severely allergic. From an allergy standpoint, it makes sense.

Knowing Mexico, I rather doubt the new rule was passed for allergy sufferers. I don't know why they did the change, but I suspect some sort of incident or series of incidents. Does anyone know why the change for sure?

First off, I'm a pet lover, so don't jump down my throat about this...

I have to kind of agree with them not allowing pets in cabins. What about the people on the plane that are allergic to the animals? I have friends that are allergic to both cats and dogs - severely allergic. From an allergy standpoint, it makes sense.

As a rule, the airlines that allow pets in cabin, only accept 2 or so per class, and they have to stay in their carrier, squeezed under the seat in front of you. If, after all this, there are still people who get allergic, it is always possible for the person who carries the dog to change seat.

Sometimes, I wish I could travel in the cargo hold, if I have a non stop talker with a bad smell next to me.

Knowing Mexico, I rather doubt the new rule was passed for allergy sufferers. I don't know why they did the change, but I suspect some sort of incident or series of incidents. Does anyone know why the change for sure?

It is the "totally out for proportion" reaction and foolish relationship Mexico has with pets. When I wanted to get on a 2nd (!) class bus with my clean doggie (in my arms) , the driver told me that he had had complaints from passengers when they see a dog on the bus. Maybe it is the new growing middle class that all of a sudden thinks that they are royalty.

In the 14 years as a flight attendant at an airline, there was NO single incident with a dog (no allergies, no complaints whatsoever), many with the 2 legged animals.... but that is another story.

Yes,.... even as an animal lover, in a restaurant, I can understand,...... on a dirty bus, no.

Rony, have you considered a chicken costume for your dog? Just kidding--hope you are enjoying the travels with your dog despite the problems.

As a rule, the airlines that allow pets in cabin, only accept 2 or so per class, and they have to stay in their carrier, squeezed under the seat in front of you. If, after all this, there are still people who get allergic, it is always possible for the person who carries the dog to change seat.

Sometimes, I wish I could travel in the cargo hold, if I have a non stop talker with a bad smell next to me.

I'm thinking of the cat allergies more than dog allergies. I know plenty of people that cannot be in the same room as a cat. I do realize they limit how many per plane, and that is a good thing. And yes, the cargo hold does sound good when you get next to a person that smells or won't shut up!

If it is an American airline, claim that it is a "service animal" and you can get away with anything. The Americans with Disability Act will let you get away with anything. You don't have to show anything, just make the claim.

If anyone gives you trouble, hit them with the threat of an ADA suit.

Doesn't matter where you are flying from as long as one end is in the US, US rules apply.

My sister raises minature horses and now, they can be classified as "service animals". Just why is beyond me, but they are.

Technically, I could bring one of those on a plane with me and if they refuse, I could sue for millions.

I know a woman who takes a pretty good sized bulldog with her all the time. She generally ends up in first class on a regular ticket because they have to give the dog room.

As a former airline employee who has worked at the gate and in customer relations I will add my two cents worth. Some cargo holds are climate controlled, some not, depends on the aircraft. If an animal has to change planes, there is a chance the animal won't get on the flight. A few years ago, some very valuable police dogs perished due to the heat in Atlanta, and policies were changed as to what the weather is on the day of travel as to whether an animal will even be allowed to travel. We have two cats. The first year we flew down, they travelled in the cabin at a cost of $125 per cat, each way. So their "ticket" cost $250 to be squished under the seat. But....we had control of their care. They couldn't get lose, be forgotten, let outnofntheir kennel, etc. the cost on domestic US airlines is about $200 each way, that's deltas current rate. Pug nosed animals like pugs, Persians or bulll dogs, cannot travel as cargo.

I'm just saying that we would drive rather than submit our cats to such an environment. I have heard many horror stories over the years that have made me arrive at this decision.

Oh, on domestic us flights, a doctors verification is reuired for a service animal and with the tightening up on revenue, it would have to be either en elite flyer or a very empty flight to be upgraded for free. I'm not saying that people don't stretch the rules on service animals, depends on your relationship with your doctor. Remember, many disabilities can't be seen.

Okay........flame me, but what''s with people who move to Mexico and then kvetch about the differences in attitudes and regulations, even going so far as to think about threatening lawsuits or creating a new "service animal" for the occasion? You know...resorting to lying or whatever it takes in order to get your way.

How about just handling the situation as you would any other tope in the road of life? Drive, get a sitter, put the dog in a kennel and obey the Mexican airlines regulations?

Or, if you just can't handle it: consider the old saw: The road runs north as well as south.

It is very rare for a Mexican to travel with a pet. Therefore, it is unlikely that they understand or appreciate that anyone else would want to do so. Since most have large, extended families, there is little need to travel with a pet; if they have one.

We take our chihuahua with us to the US since we are there for an extended time then back to Mx. In cabin has worked fine for a number of years. This latest change was initiated by United Airlines to increase revenue since the pet in cargo rate is $249 and in cabin rate is $100. Other airlines followed suit. I don't think your posts of your opinions about pets in the cabin or allergies, yadda yadda are releavent to THIS thread. Lots of people are going to be caught unaware and try to find a cargo carrier here at lakeside. I bought one of only two at the annimal shelter. Only other place I can think of is the pet store in Anderas Mall, if it is still open. Good luck.

Okay........flame me, but what''s with people who move to Mexico and then kvetch about the differences in attitudes and regulations, even going so far as to think about threatening lawsuits or creating a new "service animal" for the occasion? You know...resorting to lying or whatever it takes in order to get your way.

How about just handling the situation as you would any other tope in the road of life? Drive, get a sitter, put the dog in a kennel and obey the Mexican airlines regulations?

Or, if you just can't handle it: consider the old saw: The road runs north as well as south.

Keep your hair on, Gringal.

I agree with you on taking at so far as lying and law suits. I would not even get angry with them over it and accept it (reluctantly, but I do). But where you are completely wrong.... it is not because you choose to live in a country (any country or your own) that you have to like everything about that country. Actually, it is kind of more realistic to see (and like or not) the good and the bad (although that is a different for everyone of course) (that every country has).

It is like new immigrants..... oh, they like the slow pace of life so much here, until they are the ones who don´t get water in their house for 3 consecutive days, because of the slow pace of life (you talked about "different attitudes"). See, how "acceptant" you would be then.

You could also say.... the bull fighting and bad treatment of animals is kind of cultural also, well .... I am here to fight than, darling. A couple of days ago, I saw guys hitting their horses... and although they could have killed me, I stood up against them and gave them hell.

Just accept differences in attitudes you say he..... not always, lady, and I am here to stay.

Rony

We take our chihuahua with us to the US since we are there for an extended time then back to Mx. In cabin has worked fine for a number of years. This latest change was initiated by United Airlines to increase revenue since the pet in cargo rate is $249 and in cabin rate is $100. Other airlines followed suit. I don't think your posts of your opinions about pets in the cabin or allergies, yadda yadda are releavent to THIS thread. Lots of people are going to be caught unaware and try to find a cargo carrier here at lakeside. I bought one of only two at the annimal shelter. Only other place I can think of is the pet store in Anderas Mall, if it is still open. Good luck.

Last week I saw three, THREE, hard sided carriers at Barbara's Bazaar. Also, I have seen them at the pet store adjacent to Soriana. If they are out, the guy will get one for you.

Keep your hair on, Gringal.

I agree with you on taking at so far as lying and law suits. I would not even get angry with them over it and accept it (reluctantly, but I do). But where you are completely wrong.... it is not because you choose to live in a country (any country or your own) that you have to like everything about that country. Actually, it is kind of more realistic to see (and like or not) the good and the bad (although that is a different for everyone of course) (that every country has).

It is like new immigrants..... oh, they like the slow pace of life so much here, until they are the ones who don´t get water in their house for 3 consecutive days, because of the slow pace of life (you talked about "different attitudes"). See, how "acceptant" you would be then.

You could also say.... the bull fighting and bad treatment of animals is kind of cultural also, well .... I am here to fight than, darling. A couple of days ago, I saw guys hitting their horses... and although they could have killed me, I stood up against them and gave them hell.

Just accept differences in attitudes you say he..... not always, lady, and I am here to stay.

Rony

My point, which you misinterpreted, was and is that you chose to live here, presumably knowing ahead of time what the Mexican culture is about........but now that you're here, you want to change it to suit your personal beliefs and wants? There's a big difference between "liking" and "dealing with it".

My suggestion was to "deal with it" in some reasonable way.

Did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed today, or what? Good grief, I'd rather hear an interesting discussionn where anyone can state their personal likes and dislikes than hear all this sniping. I'm going to quit reading now and go find something more pleasant. Some people don't have anything better to do than find fault with a decent discussion and have to vent their unhappiness by slinging the very boring & oh-so-old "If you don't like it, then leave". No one likes to be reading an interesting topic and then be subject to having to wade thru this kind of muck.

If it is an American airline, claim that it is a "service animal" and you can get away with anything. The Americans with Disability Act will let you get away with anything. You don't have to show anything, just make the claim.

If anyone gives you trouble, hit them with the threat of an ADA suit.

Doesn't matter where you are flying from as long as one end is in the US, US rules apply.

My sister raises minature horses and now, they can be classified as "service animals". Just why is beyond me, but they are.

Technically, I could bring one of those on a plane with me and if they refuse, I could sue for millions.

I know a woman who takes a pretty good sized bulldog with her all the time. She generally ends up in first class on a regular ticket because they have to give the dog room.

It's this sort of attitude that makes life hard for us really and truly disabled folks. Shame on anyone who fakes a disability for any reason.

Take a nap, and ignore the thread. Easy, si?

try deep breathing in and out, Gringal.

and keep (or start to) smiling,.... No reason to get upset so easily. :-)

Archived