Chapala.com Webboard

Thirsty Turtle

lakeheron

When Thirsty Turle which was located in SAT was closing the owner told me they were moving west. I've never seen hide or hair of it again. Did it just close? Same question for the Beer Garden.

There is a large place called The Beer Garden in Chapala.

The Beer Garden in SAT was owned and operated by Graciela with the help of her children. It opened long before the original Beer Garden in Chapala was remodeled and reopened.. When it became too much for her she sold it to a couple from Guadalajara. As the business declined they sold it to a man who moved it to Hidalgo in Ajijic across from Saul Rodiles School. It is not called the Beer Garden. The new owner just bought the equipment. I don't see much activity there.

Just opened, next to El Barco in the location of the former San Telmo.

I don't think so; I've been to San Telmo lately; it's gringo-owned, doesn't have the Beer Garden equipment, and has nothing to do with it. If you'd been going lately, you would have been treated to lots of free snacks, 10-peso margaritas, and other fun stuff.

I don't think so; I've been to San Telmo lately; it's gringo-owned, doesn't have the Beer Garden equipment, and has nothing to do with it. If you'd been going lately, you would have been treated to lots of free snacks, 10-peso margaritas, and other fun stuff.

Thanks for the correction. Sorry for the bad info. I don't think it's called San Telmo any longer, is it?

Thanks for the correction. Sorry for the bad info. I don't think it's called San Telmo any longer, is it?

You're right, it's now the Beer and Tequila Cantina or something... interesting review by Jeanette.

Back to the original question. The owner of the Thirsty Turtle has a new place west of Ajijic that is supposed to be in process of being built? remodeled??? It is a yellow building on the lake side of the Carratera going toward Joco. It has a small tienda next to it that is open, and the restaurant area has tables with chairs stacked on top. It looks like a 2nd story is planned but not finished. I don't know the owner, but someone who does might stop by and ask.

We live in Riberas and that is pretty far west for us. We miss the restaurants that have moved out of SAT. Do any of you eat at the taqueria which is located across the street from the southwest corner of the SAT plaza? Nice taquitos with all the trimmings at a great price. I've never been sick there either.

We live in Riberas and that is pretty far west for us. We miss the restaurants that have moved out of SAT. Do any of you eat at the taqueria which is located across the street from the southwest corner of the SAT plaza? Nice taquitos with all the trimmings at a great price. I've never been sick there either.

Have eaten there once before the Friday night dancing at Adelitas. The beef tacos were good, the pork not so good. I've had better in Tonala or on street taco joints on our way down from Nogales and on market days in Tonala and Joco. Would I go there again? Sure. But it wouldn't be a huge draw (and I LIKE street taco stands.)

I think you should revisit this place, El Comal Express. On the basis of many, many visits to it and every other taqueria in the area I'm confident it is the best overall place. The adobada is sublime, lengua excellent, beef very good. A very clean place, with welcoming service. El Comal and Mario's are by far the best places to eat in San Antonio, and two of the best at Lakeside, IMHO.

A few other places offering local food are here:

some local food options

I think you should revisit this place, El Comal Express. On the basis of many, many visits to it and every other taqueria in the area I'm confident it is the best overall place. The adobada is sublime, lengua excellent, beef very good. A very clean place, with welcoming service. El Comal and Mario's are by far the best places to eat in San Antonio, and two of the best at Lakeside, IMHO.

A few other places offering local food are here:

some local food options

I'm wondering if it WAS El Comal where we dined. Or maybe we were just too early. There was no adobada in sight, nor did I see lengua - and it was your Eating Local at Lakeside that lead us to this place. But with my sense of direction, we may have tried the tacos someplace else near the SAT plaza. I'll have to double check.

Yes, we've enjoyed Mario's as well. Wish they were open for dinner.

Archived