Chapala.com Webboard

SPAM problem

Curmudgeon

Is anyone else getting really tired of unsolicited email (SPAM) from Number 4 and ChiliBangBar? I suspect that they copied email addresses from the LCS directory (I have learned my lesson now and removed my address).

This just ticks me off (easy to do) and leaves me with a bad impression of these establishments. I have reported their spamming to gmail, who is the source of the emails.

Is anyone else getting really tired of unsolicited email (SPAM) from Number 4 and ChiliBangBar? I suspect that they copied email addresses from the LCS directory (I have learned my lesson now and removed my address).

This just ticks me off (easy to do) and leaves me with a bad impression of these establishments. I have reported their spamming to gmail, who is the source of the emails.

There were three from ChiliBangBar in my inbox this morning - that's rather excessive.

I'm in the LCS directory and I'm not getting any spam from 4 or ChiliBangBar. I haven't been to either place yet. Since I suspect you don't pay with plastic, I wonder where they are getting your email address.

I received an email yesterday from Number FOUR about their Flamenco Dancer event with Dinner for $ 1,000. pesos. Ridiculous!!! Great for the rich who live in Ajijic or Tapatios from GDL.

Next time I will have to block their address with my SPAMFIGHTER which works excellent.

It's totally against accepted Web standards of ethics to send unsolicited email, unless the original mailing asks, at the top, "would you like to receive..?". And, any and all commercial solicitations must have a line somewhere in the email to "unsubscribe". Failure to do so is just snotty. But then, the owners of Number 4 really do think they're pretty high above most of us around here, so I'm not at all surprised.

I agree with removing your email from any directories. What at first seemed a congenial idea has blossomed into an invasion of personal space.

I would email 'em back and DEMAND that they remove your name from their list, and DEMAND an apology, and see what happens. Then in a couple of days, block 'em anyway. Then, you might want to send them an email (in fact, several), advertising your great love for your dog, or your upcoming yard sale, or the importance of Vitamin C in the diet.

Good luck. We removed our email from the lcs directory for that very reason a year ago. We have been receiving the Chili Bang emails. Last night I sent an email asking to be removed from their list. Today I received a repeat of the email. They have just lost my business as well as having their address blocked. There are plenty of places to enjoy a good meal without unwanted solicitations.

Guest Gringal

Good luck. We removed our email from the lcs directory for that very reason a year ago. We have been receiving the Chili Bang emails. Last night I sent an email asking to be removed from their list. Today I received a repeat of the email. They have just lost my business as well as having their address blocked. There are plenty of places to enjoy a good meal without unwanted solicitations.

I, too, removed myself from the LCS directory for the same reason. I got the email today anyway. Annoying people is not good business. If they have an event they want advertised, there are two free magazines, a weekly newspaper and bulletin boards all over town that allow posters. A big Bronx cheer and the elbow grab to them. :019:

No, I don't get emails from either restaurant--and my email address is in the LCS directory. The only annoyance emails I get are from H2Ole, which I think is Tiobob's company. They don't annoy me much, but they make me less likely to use H2Ole because they're a little intrusive.

I agree that it's just plain rude to send unsolicited email, and every "commercial" email should have a link to unsubscribe, which #4 and CBB do not. I have reported them as spammers to gmail, which seems to be the origin of their emails. Do you think they know what a bad image they are projecting? How much business they will lose?

I have asked ajijiccharlie to forward his email to me and we will gladly remove him from our database. In fact I have asked twice. If anyone prefers to be removed from our database we surely prefer to not waste our time mailing them. We truly only want to help those that want help.

If we have offended anyone we apologize. We have only had a handful of people request removal. In all cases we have gladly complied.

TioBob

H2Olé

I have asked ajijiccharlie to forward his email to me and we will gladly remove him from our database. In fact I have asked twice. If anyone prefers to be removed from our database we surely prefer to not waste our time mailing them. We truly only want to help those that want help.

If we have offended anyone we apologize. We have only had a handful of people request removal. In all cases we have gladly complied.

TioBob

H2Olé

It would have been better if people were not put into your database without their prior approval. And your spam should have a link to remove their names. This is the accepted norm for commercial emails.

TioBob

H2Olé

Thank you Tio,

I am sure that you offer a very good service--I was just surprised to get the emails, especially when I don't get them from Number 4 or Chili Bang.

Chuck

Spam is sometimes caused by a virus. If you are receiving repeat emails then this is more than likely the case. When you do not want to receive email from a certain address all it takes it pressing the block sender option on your email. Problem solved. My wife and I have lived in Ajijic for over 10 years and have never found two better establishments than Number Four and Chili Bang Bar. It's a shame to cheat yourselves out of a wonderful, unique dining experience because of a little junk mail that they probably dont even know about.

Spam is sometimes caused by a virus. If you are receiving repeat emails then this is more than likely the case. When you do not want to receive email from a certain address all it takes it pressing the block sender option on your email. Problem solved. My wife and I have lived in Ajijic for over 10 years and have never found two better establishments than Number Four and Chili Bang Bar. It's a shame to cheat yourselves out of a wonderful, unique dining experience because of a little junk mail that they probably dont even know about.

O.K. - Why would a virus send out e-mails advertising Number 4 and their upcoming events??? They don't know about it my foot!

O.K. - Why would a virus send out e-mails advertising Number 4 and their upcoming events??? They don't know about it my foot!

I'm with you, MountainGal. All the emails I get are advertising things happening at their locations - a virus does not do that.

CFAjijic quote - "My wife and I have lived in Ajijic for over 10 years and have never found two better establishments than Number Four and Chili Bang Bar. It's a shame to cheat yourselves out of a wonderful, unique dining experience because of a little junk mail that they probably dont even know about."

If you think the food at Number FOUR is the best in Ajijic, you haven't eaten at any other restaurants here. I can name 5 other restaurants where the food is as good or better, consistency of food is FAR better than Number FOUR, food and wine prices are much cheaper and their service is better. But, if you like paying high prices for inconsistent food, that's your perogative.

The 5 restaurants that are better are Hacienda Ajijic, Ajijic Tango, Manix, Armando's and Roberto's.

John (NewinAjijic) and I don't agree on much, but we do agree that #4's prices are the highest in the area. Pesonally I don't see the value. The food is good, now, but for how long? When they first opened they were going through a chef a month. The first time we ate there the food was mediocre and all drinks were so overpriced as to be rapacious. I give NO restaurant a 2nd chance. (I should spend my $ to see if you got better?) However we were invited to join a friend for her birthday dinner last Novermber; the food was excellent and worth the price, however cocktails and wine were still way overpriced. A margharita has the same value everyplace. We're wine drinkers and often the wine portion of the bill exceeds the food in a restaurant with rational pricing. At #4 it's simply cost prohibitive. If we ever go to #4 again we'll BYOB, at least their corkage fees are reasonable and they do have good glassware.

I'm with you, MountainGal. All the emails I get are advertising things happening at their locations - a virus does not do that.

The complaint was that people were receiving repeat emails of the same advertisment, that is what a virus could do. i know because it has happened to me several times when my computer was infected. I for one enjoy being updated on upcoming events, as I find there is little excitement going on in Ajijic this time of the year, but as many have said, if you dont wish to receive email from any company all that is required is simply blocking the sender.

CFAjijic quote - "My wife and I have lived in Ajijic for over 10 years and have never found two better establishments than Number Four and Chili Bang Bar. It's a shame to cheat yourselves out of a wonderful, unique dining experience because of a little junk mail that they probably dont even know about."

If you think the food at Number FOUR is the best in Ajijic, you haven't eaten at any other restaurants here. I can name 5 other restaurants where the food is as good or better, consistency of food is FAR better than Number FOUR, food and wine prices are much cheaper and their service is better. But, if you like paying high prices for inconsistent food, that's your perogative.

The 5 restaurants that are better are Hacienda Ajijic, Ajijic Tango, Manix, Armando's and Roberto's.

Ive lived here for quite some time, and enjoy going out for dinner at least twice a week. of course I've eaten at other restaurants. FOUR and Chili Bang are relatively new, and we are big fans for many reasons, the atmosphere, food, music, elegance, etc. Tango is also one of our favourites. Great food and reasonable prices. However, I would reccomend Pedro's GO, the new Thai restaurant and La Taverna above the other restaurants you mentioned. At any rate it was only a thought regarding spam mail.

Ive lived here for quite some time, and enjoy going out for dinner at least twice a week. of course I've eaten at other restaurants. FOUR and Chili Bang are relatively new, and we are big fans for many reasons, the atmosphere, food, music, elegance, etc. Tango is also one of our favourites. Great food and reasonable prices. However, I would reccomend Pedro's GO, the new Thai restaurant and La Taverna above the other restaurants you mentioned. At any rate it was only a thought regarding spam mail.

CFAjijic - Tango is almost as good as Hacienda Ajijic. Pedro's GO is 3 flights up, not good for older folks. Pedro's GO might be OK if you like eating off a coffee table and bending over to eat or eating with a plate in your lap. If Pedro's GO food is anything like Pedro's our Dinner group will not go there. La Taverna is the WORST Italian restaurant we have ever eaten at. Our Dinner group will not go there. We are Italian and make our own sauces and Italian food at home. Angelica's Bistro is the "Best" Italian restaurant in Ajijic. If you want "real" Italian food, go to Trattoria di Pomodoro on Ninos Heroes, off Lazaro Cadenas, just 2 blocks down from the Lopez Mateos rotary.

As you can readily see, the complaint was NOT about "repeat emails of the same advertisment [sic]" at all. By extension, it did not refer to or intimate that a virus was involved. It was about "unsolicited email (SPAM)"!

Perhaps you didnt read the other comments:

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

I am a new user of chapala.com's forums and was simply attempting to join in and give a helpful response on how to deal with spam mail, but so far this webboard comes across as negative on most subjects ive read regarding ajijic not to mention unwelcoming to new users. Ive already been attacked for my advice and told where to eat by someone who clearly has an unsophisticated palette. thanks but no thanks. i think i'll be sticking to trip advisor.

Archived