Chapala.com Webboard

Property Manager's Employee's Aguinaldo - Do I pay or the manager?

MakeItSo

A question for those of you with longer experience (most of You, I'm sure).

My property manager of 5 years has now / suddenly decided to pass on the maid's Christmas bonus onto me.  I do not mind it, I like the maid, and tip her generously (on top of what the manager charges me for the maid's work), and gift her and her kids small gifts. I just wonder how this newly imposed on me aguinaldo works from legal standpoint, given the maid is the  property manager's employee and nothing in the agreement specifies that I ought to cover the cost? 

Questions:  Who hired the maid?  Does your "property manager" have this maid work for other people?  Do you pay the exact amount to your manager that the maid is paid? .. or does the manager charge you an amount and then pay the maid which may be less than you are paying?   I assume you do not pay the maid's IMSS so does the property manager bill you extra for it? 

First: Article 87 of the Federal Labor Law   "Workers will have the right to an annual bonus that must be paid before the twentieth of December, equivalent to at least fifteen days of salary. ".  Your property manager is well aware of this

So the date has long past. 

Second: Who pays the maids IMSS?  If it is the property manager then they are legally responsible to pay the maid's Aguinaldo.  

Thank you. Yes, it is in the past. I just need some arguments to present the manager who underperforms and whom I'll likely fire. 

However, I was not aware whether the manager has any legal right to charge me for the aguinaldo for his employees that he pays IMSS for.

2 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

Thank you. Yes, it is in the past. I just need some arguments to present the manager who underperforms and whom I'll likely fire. 

However, I was not aware whether the manager has any legal right to charge me for the aguinaldo for his employees that he pays IMSS for.

Your argument is that your "property manager" violated the law. They have the legal responsibility, not you.  Depending on your contract with the the "property manager" you might want to consult a local attorney.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

MLost,

For the 15 years we were Lakeside, Chapala Realty handled all the personnel issues including pay. When we had to fire a maid, they said I had to pay the severance and I objected because I never hired her, they did. I did not prevail. 

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

MLost,

For the 15 years we were Lakeside, Chapala Realty handled all the personnel issues including pay. When we had to fire a maid, they said I had to pay the severance and I objected because I never hired her, they did. I did not prevail. 

Gee, gosh  that is great that you had a property manager years ago . ...... but exactly how does that help the OP?? I would guess they resolved the problem last month.