Chapala.com Webboard

car key duplicated

Mad_Max

6 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Opposite the Coca Cola depot under the trees.

Thanks Alpha1. Will go there.

Had an interesting experience with those guys - actually a very good one for mexico.  I had a bunch of keys made ealier this year - maybe 8 different ones and most didn't work when i got home. So went back and  one of the guys said he would come home with me to fix - and he hopped into my car and came to my house and fixed each one.

• Like 1

While at Cerrajera in Chapala having other keys made I asked about having a chip key duplicated.  This was several months ago.  They told me I would have to leave the car for several hours while they duplicated the chip & it would cost $3000 pesos.  Maybe a little more, I forget exactly but in that ballpark. This was for a Ford Escape.  I trust these guys & have used them for years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shortstop said:

While at Cerrajera in Chapala having other keys made I asked about having a chip key duplicated.  This was several months ago.  They told me I would have to leave the car for several hours while they duplicated the chip & it would cost $3000 pesos.  Maybe a little more, I forget exactly but in that ballpark. This was for a Ford Escape.  I trust these guys & have used them for years.  

If you have a vehicle with a chip key the time to get an extra is when you still have both keys. You can have a key cut and program the key yourself if you have 2 valid chip keys.

If you only have one key it is a time consuming process for a professional to program a second key.