Chapala.com Webboard

Permanent Residency

SuzyQQ

We have been coming to Ajijic via air from Seattle for twelve years using passports on tourist visas and never stay for more than a month or so. We are considering applying for permanent residency status. We are both retired, own a casa in Villa Nova and have sufficient income. We have no desire to drive our US car down there. What are the upsides and downsides of gaining permanent residency?

Is there anyone that has done this thru the Seattle consulate?

The only upside that I can see for you to even bother getting Permanent Residency is if you wish to sell your residence in Villa Nova. You WILL pay Capital Gains if you are not Permanente. If money is nothing to worry about then I would just continue on as you have been.

• Like 2

I bought a house in Ajijic in 1997 and greatly downsized my Seattle residence to the smallest 2BR condo on the 19th floor of a 33-story condo. It was so long ago, and I am getting so old, that I only know that I love I did move down while maintaining a small Seattle condo unit. And have forgotten any problems, if there were any.

You can get a refund on your tourist visa charge on the airline ticket.  As stated earlier if you sell your house you will save on taxes. Plus doing it now you will have lower requirements and cost then waiting  a couple of years. You will save a lot when you sell your house you will want to have it.