Chapala.com Webboard

What is this insect please

MtnMama

12 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Not a mealy bug.  I don't know the name but they make a good bit of white fuzz around their bodies when they are on your plants.  I have seen them every year but not all year like you would a mealy bug.

The picture you posted is a mealybug. Mealybugs don't need to be around all year. Other insects eat them.

mealybugs.jpg

mealybug.jpg

On 4/19/2016 at 2:59 PM, Jistme said:

Not to hijack your insect question, but perhaps someone knowledgeable could give me some advice on my insect problem too.

These critters are about the size of a pinhead, they're black, and come out in the evenings, they're almost invisible to the naked eye, unless you know what to look for. They're making our life a misery.

I've had three extermination treatments in the past four months, and have just had a guy clean and treat our high brick ceilings.

They get into our beds, and they bite...no they're not bedbugs, it's difficult to get a good nights uninterrupted sleep with these pests, sheets are changed three times a week, and beds sprayed with disinfectant, and home remedies of vinegar and lemon etc.,

I've just finished spraying around the outside perimeter with a commercial bug spray. Been in this house 7 years without so much

as a mosquito bite...why now?

What you have are no-see-ums.  They bite like hell and the bites itch forever.  I strongly recommend ANDANTOL (the correct spelling), available at any pharmacy.  Put a little dab on each bite before you scratch it and repeat as needed.  ANDANTOL works like a charm.

Liana, thanks for the advice, but honestly I don't need an ointment for the bites, I need a solution to rid my house

of this insect infestation that commences every evening. I have a good salve for the bites, but I'll keep a note of your recommendation.

The no-see-ums are whitish, and the pests that I'm dealing with are black, and I can definitely see-em!

Archived