Chapala.com Webboard

ATM Card Skimmers

Kiko

This bluetooth board stealing credit card and debit card info has been in use in the USA since early 2014, causing at least $2.1 million in thefts across the USA from Texas to Florida in 2014 alone at US gas station pumps.

The US problem has continued to expand across Florida ATMs, Colorado, and Connecticut ATMs through 2015.

It's odd that the bluetooth broadcasting boards installed inside ATMs is reported as if it is only a Mexican tourist area problem.

By accusing only Mexican resorts of having the problem looks a lot like yet more Mexico-bashing, as another attempt to scare tourists away from Mexico, while the problem is bigger and has run longer in the USA, especially in tourist areas in Florida and Colorado.

Realize that this is not a typical type of card skimmer, as they use pirate boards sold from Ukraine, installed inside the ATM, to steal even chip card's numbers and PIN information, and then broadcast it to a bluetooth receiver used by the thieves. Hopefully bank ATMs inside the banks are better monitored for the addition of the spurious pirate boards from Ukraine. Ugly stuff.

Guess everyone needs to monitor their bank accounts and credit card accounts. At least the credit cards can be set to send you the balance by email on a daily basis and some even send an email for every charge above a certain amount.

Chips arent safe. I can walk past you with a reader in my pocket and take all the info I need unless you use an RFID blocking wallet/jacket etc

My point is, those cards you carry arent safe at all.

With a pocket-sized radio frequency scanner that can cost less than $100 or a smartphone equipped with near field communications capabilities, thieves can obtain the data from a credit card right through your wallet and purse, providing they stand close enough to you for a sensor to register the information. Early generation credit cards with RFID tags encode the card information necessary to make a large purchase, unlike newer cards, which minimize their scanner-readable data.

.http://classroom.synonym.com/thieves-scan-credit-cards-purse-23307.html

All of my cards have the imbedded chips that prevent this kind of thing.

Archived