Chapala.com Webboard

Herbs?

Where can I get fresh herb plants? Is there an "herb farm" around Lakeside? It seems that the Viveros may have one or two different herbs, usually rosemary and oregano and basil and LOTS of mint...but I would like parsley, cilantro, thyme, too.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Related topic: where have people found vegetable starts? Viveros that are best for this?

This isn't like NOB, there is little of this kind of spring DYI gardening options like you may be used to from up there. Look at the same viveros mentioned before to perhaps find a tomatoe of some basil etc, but your best bet is to order what you want from a seed catalog company that delivers to Mexico and start your own. You get better selection and your choice of varietals this way. The Big vivero whose name eludes me right now but which is located on the libramiento on the NW corner a little north of the Walmart traffic lights sometimes has a selection of different herbs (anise, all spice, Bay laurel etc), but it too is hit or miss.

Starting up an NOB style garden centre would be a great niche market for here.

I would not recommend Walmart. I bought a rosemary plant there that died literally the next day. Tried again a week later and the same result. The vivero behind SuperLake had a variety of herbs which are all still thriving a month later.

Archived