Chapala.com Webboard

ATMs When Visiting Ajijic

Looking at the web site for your bank, there is a $2 transaction fee each time you take money out of an ATM plus a 1% international currency exchange fee. Any ATM in town will work but if you were able to get $1,000US or about $15,000 pesos in a single transaction, it would cost you $12US. If it's just for a visit the fees may be tolerable. Most people here have worked out a system to get pesos with very little or no extra fees.

CI Banco and Multiva ATMs allow single withdrawals of at least $15,000. On last try Banamex ATMs (Walmart & Farmacia Guadalajara) limited a single transaction to $10,000 pesos. Bancomer surchage fees are ridiculous so avoid them.

In my case, it's the issuing bank (Chase) that sets my limit. My personal preference is the HSBC machine inside the HSBC bank across from Walmart. You will have no problem finding an ATM to use. Just remember your service charge is the same whether you withdraw a little or a lot, so get as much as you think you'll need.

The bank sets the daily withdrawal limit for a debit card while the ATM has a transaction limit. You might have a $2,000 daily limit from your bank but due to the ATM transaction limit you might have to perform 2 or more transactions to get your daily bank limit.

The transaction charge is assessed each time you insert a card and ask for money. The 1% fee is assessed on the total amount of money you take from the machine.

In general it's always best to try to get as much money as you can in a single swipe.

It's good to know what your daily withdrawal limit is. You would probably need to call your bank to find out. Try to beg for a higher limit since it's your money but often that won't work.

We are headed to College Station the first leg of our trip to met our new grand-daughter. This is a short trip to Ajijic to see what it's like...I'm wanting to move to Mexico and hoping Lakeside is the right place. We were in Puta Mita in December and there were posts on ATMs NOT to use. So, just wondered if there were ATMs not to use in the Ajijic area. Good advice on limits.

Thanks for responding!

Do notify your bank that you will be using your card in Mexico, and ask them to raise your daily limit; they will, no need to beg. We lived quite well in the cash economy with a $1000 daily limit to reduce the need to visit ATMs too often, etc. Avoid any use of a credit card during your visit.

Enjoy your trip.

The atm at Multiva bank on the carreterra is good and so is the one inside farmacia Guadalajara. Tell your bank in advance that you will be here and using your card.

In the past there were problems with the one inside Farmacia Guadalajara. I think it is better to use one that is in a bank.

The best ATM to use is CI Banco-the one in the mall across from Wal-Mart. They also have an armed guard posted there.

The charge to use the ATM is only $17 pesos, The worst one is Bancomer- they charge $69 pesos per transaction.

You should be able to withdraw $7500 pesos for your $500 usd withdrawal.

maw

The card I use most is thru RBC Wealth Mgmt. it is issued by PNC Financial. There are no fees on that end. I have a daily limit of $2000 US. The only fees I pay are the Mexican bank fees, HSBC about $35p and Bancomer about $27p. On a $5000p withdrawal, that is 11bp and 8bp resp. The HSBC at Superlake is fine, the HSBC office across from Walmart is good and the Bancomer off the plaza in Ajijic is good.

Archived