Chapala.com Webboard

International Driver's License

Zeb

Some states require you to appear in person and will mail your renewal to an existing address in that state; some states require you to appear in person if you are over 65...some will allow on line renewals. A Mexican license is accepted for driving a car in all US states. An international drivers license is easily gotten thru the AAA...but some insurance companies will not insure you with the international license....so the answer is MAYBE!

NOTE: An international driving license is not a stand-alone license and is only a translation & confirmation of your state-issued license. So, it is no good without a current state-issued license. It is also not valid in the jurisdiction where it is issued; only in other countries.

An international "drivers license" is actually just a permit. It translates your local license into many different languages. They advertise "no test required" and in small print "just your currently valid license". Hahaha, what a hoot! Wonder how many they sell!

RV beat me to it!

Once your US driver's license is about expire, can you just renew it for whatever US State or are from or optionally, acquire an international driver's license and keep driving in Mexico?

I´ve seen my friend´s European international drivers licence he got in England 15 years ago and it has no expiration date.

They do not expire, as they are not a license. The expiration that applies is the state-issued license to which it refers.

You must have a state-issued license from somewhere, valid and unexpired, no matter where you drive.

As already explained, the so called international license is just a translation for cops that cannot read your license. That is seldom required anywhere these days. So just use your current license. Renew by mail once, if you can, and/or get a new one in the Mexican state where you will reside.

They do not expire, as they are not a license. The expiration that applies is the state-issued license to which it refers.

You must have a state-issued license from somewhere, valid and unexpired, no matter where you drive.

As already explained, the so called international license is just a translation for cops that cannot read your license. That is seldom required anywhere these days. So just use your current license. Renew by mail once, if you can, and/or get a new one in the Mexican state where you will reside.

Yes. I understood that it is not a stand along from the previous answers. I just thought it might be a benefit if there is no expiration date on it. It can serve as a duplicate in case one is lost.

Texas does allow renewal by mail; just once, then you must appear in person the next time with proofs of residency. We did that but cannot do it again by mail unless we have been present for the previous license.

Archived