Chapala.com Webboard

ajilbe cleaning

stuphel

How do I know when my ajilbe needs cleaning? It was done about 9 months ago, and I don't know when it should be done again. Tap and washing machine water seems clear enough.

We live in lower (not really low) Riberas, and I'm aware that our soil is sandy and we probably need ajilbe cleaning more often than those who live in other areas, but, especially for those who live in our neighborhood (2 blocks below the Carretera, between Mom's and Toscana pizza), how often is 'normal' for cleaning?

Thanks

The first thing I would do would be to go out at night with a flashlight and see how much dirt there is on the bottom of it. None, a little, a lot? I had mine cleaned about 2 years ago and there is a little on the bottom. Also look to see how far above the bottom the pipe that funnels off water is. The closer it is to the bottom the sooner you might have a problem. The amount of dirt in the water varies greatly from well to well.

Depends on how you use the water..

If you drink the water, after the Aljibe fills up, the water quality will probably not improve.

If you don't drink the water, then Aljibe cleaning does not need to be done very often

The main reason is to clean out to keep the "pick up pipe" from getting blocked

I clean mine every 5 or so years. I live very high up in Ajijic and maybe that is why my water has less dirt in it to settle to the bottom of the Aljibe. The dame goes for my next door neighbor.

Archived