Chapala.com Webboard

Driving to Laredo later this week - directions and hints

solajijic

RV, I don't think I'd send a 'first time' border traveler up that way unless it truly has been upgraded. I haven't tried it for many years when it was 2-lane all the way; and because of that (curvey roads) it actually is not shorter than going up to Zacatecas and then to Saltillo using the cuota system.

Its changed and is upgraded. There is a quota road from the north side of Aquascaliente to the north side of Zacatecas and the majority of route to the Saltio quota is now 4 lanes. Its about 80 miles shorter than taking the SLP route.

Its changed and is upgraded. There is a quota road from the north side of Aquascaliente to the north side of Zacatecas and the majority of route to the Saltio quota is now 4 lanes. Its about 80 miles shorter than taking the SLP route.

You're confusing two different routes. Libre 54 runs straight north, at first through a number of canyons and mountains, out of GDL. It does not go to Aquascaliente. To take that route, you first go towards Lagos de Moreno on 80D then you get on a cuota (45D I think) that goes to Aquascaliente and then on to Zacatecas.

Libre 54 north of GDL is really an interesting ride, just slow until you get close to Jalpa.

Right. So, 54D north right out of Guad to Zacatecas and beyond is direct with good views but a bit windy and slow at first for most travelers.

Leaving on 80D then to Aguascaliente on 45D then to Zacatecas seems to have a few followers and is said to be greatly improved.

The "standard" route is to leave on 80D toward SLP, Matehuala, etc. Here, one can choose to go through SLP, where the main disadvantage is a 22min windy section coming into town and following the signs. Or, one can choose to go around SLP, well to the south on the cuota, where cops are waiting for US plated cars with fake speed traps.

Does that about sum it up? :)

(Sorry, the first link was bad for a minute but is now fixed.)

Right. So, 54D north right out of Guad to Zacatecas and beyond is direct with good views but a bit windy and slow at first for most travelers.

Leaving on 80D then to Aguascaliente on 45D then to Zacatecas seems to have a few followers and is said to be greatly improved.

The "standard" route is to leave on 80D toward SLP, Matehuala, etc. Here, one can choose to go through SLP, where the main disadvantage is a 22min windy section coming into town and following the signs. Or, one can choose to go around SLP, well to the south on the cuota, where cops are waiting for US plated cars with fake speed traps.

Does that about sum it up? :)

(Sorry, the first link was bad for a minute but is now fixed.)

Yes

Not to pick on your description but personally I think it is a bit on the 'rose colored glasses' side for someone who is wanting to get from A-Z, no offense RVGringo. And although Google Maps shows it as 54D (the designation for a cuota), it is not. Maincoons has correctly described 54 as a 2-lane road FULL of twists and turns and topes. Immediately out of Guadalajara it goes through a huge barancas.... canyons as such for 50km. It's not dangerous (until or unless some drivers think you aren't driving fast enough), and it is rather scenic but it's not a road on which you will make much time. The next 90 km aren't in canyons but definitely are still full of twisty highway and it goes through a few hamlets with topes. After that the next 175 km up to Zacatecas are not too bad but one won't make very good time.

To call this route 'direct' would denote it as a shorter and quicker way. On a map it might appear that this is true. But from Chapala this route to Zacatecas is 385 km and takes 4:30. Take the 80D cuota out of Guadalajara and then go to Zacatecas through Aquascalientes is 387 km and takes 4:15 minutes.That's how twisty that road is! Yes, you'll pay some tolls the other way but will arrive much less frazzled IMO.

For a one-time trip or to save pesos, the 54 route is OK. Done that once (actually on 54 and 23) , won't do it again.

Thanks. I was so confused with all the descriptions, (I guess I need the visual of seeing it on the map), and the misunderstandings, that I just wanted to get everything put back together into a cohesive summary. Yes it was too quick and broad.

I've totally discounted 54 North out of Guad for the reasons you state.

The Aquascaliente to Zacatecas has some appeal, but the stretch beyond Zacatecas seems to have very few services. I'll be driving an older car and am thinking this probably isn't the best if it were to break down or something.

The standard route through Matehuala seems best for me. I've heard of problems with the fake speed traps, wanting you to follow them to the station non-sense, etc. If they've mostly happened on the SLP bypass south of the city, then maybe I'd rather just bear with going through town, and maybe stopping for lunch there.

I'm traveling with a dog, and want to get to Hotel Rancho El Morillo in Satillo. Matehuala doesn't quite seem far enough for the first day, but will be an option if we're already exhausted by then. Las Palmas and the no-tell Motel Real Villas will be on the short list.

I plan to cross right at Laredo. I understand it is pretty crazy there but going to one of the other crossing, on somewhat deserted roads, in Zeta territory, doesn't appeal to me. Laredo seems like the straight shot to San Antonio and beyond for my next destination. I be turning in a TIP first by crossing under the bridge on the lateral and looping back around.

I want to aim for Austin for the second overnight. Next step is to find a pet-friendly motel somewhere around there or Waco.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

And, if I'm to believe Google Maps, here's how to get back off the bypass around Lagos de Moreno:

Notice the sign on the far right. It seems that one has to take the U-turn to Leon. But this should be the last one. After this, don't go to Leon, but go straight toward San Luis Potosi.

post-464-0-27708200-1379520847_thumb.png

(Click to enlarge.)

And, if I'm to believe Google Maps, here's how to get back off the bypass around Lagos de Moreno:

Notice the sign on the far right. It seems that one has to take the U-turn to Leon. But this should be the last one. After this, don't go to Leon, but go straight toward San Luis Potosi.

attachicon.gif2013-09-18_1112.png

(Click to enlarge.)

That's a really old picture. This is all fixed up now. Now you go around a circular and follow the signs to San Luis Potosi if you're headed north. And then you stay to the left and enter the new toll road that cuts off Oriejos and that awful section of old libre 80. You'll save at least 30 minutes and a lot of wear and tear on your car using the new toll road.

Going to Reynosa/Pharr, Lagos is the last urban area you have to drive through all the way to the border.

Archived