Chapala.com Webboard

What can a FM2 person bring back to Mexico

valbogyo

I am totally confused over what I can bring back, into Mexico. It was easier when on an FMM.

Specifically, I am bringing in a lot of clothing from my Canadian home. Besides that, about $500 of miscelaneous stuff. Honestly, I never worried about it before because I did not bring anything other than clothing and a few household items accross.

I read rollybrooks site, and strom white, but what I need is just what you are allowed to bring back when returning from a trip. I also found a government website that explains what visitors can bring in to Mexico. I am just not sure what a resident can bring in.

I plan on itemizing everything on a list, just in case. I will highlight what is new, and I have receipts for. I don't mind paying duty/taxes on what is new.... but I am bringing a lot of clothing that is not new. That is my biggest concern. They will think that I am LOCO.

Oh! And do they consider a tablet/e-reader a computer? I bought a cheap laptop and an e-reader. ($368.00 total)

I feel like such a rooky!

Your own used clothing is fine.

I don't know about air but when driving it was $250 US per person and at Christmas it was $350. It might be the same. I think you are doing the right thing by listing and having your receipts, you will probably be just fine.

I think that when driving the duty free allowance is $75 per person. The holiday increase is intended for Mexican citizens. I don't think you'll have any problems with both an e-reader and a laptop. All in all, I wouldn't worry too much - are you driving or flying?

• 3 weeks later...

This was a month old post, but let me tell ya.... a whole lot of worrying over nothing. I itemized everything in my four bags. I translated into spanish and put a value on each item. I figured It was about 10K pesos over and I had the cash to pay the IVA. Nobody was interested in if the computer was new, as long as I just had one. They did not care about the tablet and they did not want to hear about how much I spent.... they just wanted me to hit the button: GREEN it was.... and I was almost pushed out the exit door!

I cross the US/Canadian border several times a year. I wish they would adopt that button system.

This was a month old post, but let me tell ya.... a whole lot of worrying over nothing. I itemized everything in my four bags. I translated into spanish and put a value on each item. I figured It was about 1000K over and I had the cash to pay the IVA. Nobody was interested in if the computer was new, as long as I just had one. They did not care about the tablet and they did not want to hear about how much I spent.... they just wanted me to hit the button: GREEN it was.... and I was almost pushed out the exit door!

I cross the US/Canadian border several times a year. I wish they would adopt that button system.

Welcome home!

• 2 weeks later...

Getting a green light does not ALWAYS allow you to proceed. On my last trip in crossing at Laredo with a trailer in tow, I got a green at the interior checkpoint and started to pull away. Then an Aduana guy comes running out of the office waiving his hands and indicating we were to pull over.

We said to ourselves WTF??

They did a cursory check of our paperwork and had us open up the trailer for yet another "look see" then waived us on.

Go figure.

Archived