Chapala.com Webboard

Cell Phone Plan Renewal

We're coming to the end of our two-year, prepaid cell phone plans with AT&T Mexico -- which isn't AT&T because there isn't an actual AT&T company any more, just a trade name that's passed around for money. But whatever.

Our AT&T service resides on the physical SIMs in our dual-SIM phones, and provides our Mexican phone numbers, which in turn back our WhatsApp identities (we mostly use WhatsApp for voice, text, and casual video). These numbers are important to preserve.

The promotional plan we've been on no longer exists, but it was something like $200 USD for two years, for each phone.

We don't care a lot about cell data. Our other carrier is Google Fi (an eSIM), and its data arrangement in Mexico is the same as the U.S. We could switch between carriers for data any time if there were risk of overage, but it's never come up.

Our primary mobile data use is driving navigation. Nothing else comes close.

Knowing all of this and if you were me, who would you try next?

Ideally, I'd want to walk in, get a new SIM, transfer the existing number, and be done with it.

Thanks.

LQ

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Far better coverage lakeside than AT&T.

1 hour ago, sm1mex said:

Telcel

Certainly Telcel/Telmex has the best coverage, but is it hassle-free (-ish)? I can't take a lot of BS.

Also, how long did do you suppose it'll take them to port our numbers? 24 hours? Thanks.

LQ

12 hours ago, Lou Quillio said:

Certainly Telcel/Telmex has the best coverage, but is it hassle-free (-ish)? I can't take a lot of BS.

Also, how long did do you suppose it'll take them to port our numbers? 24 hours? Thanks.

LQ

We have had 2 Telcel packages for many years with very little problems.  Took about 15 minutes to get a new SIM card and number change.  Most of that time was waiting in line to pay for new card before they actually would do the transfer etc.

• Like 1

TELCEL is the company. Telmex is a different company. 

The Plaza Laguna office has lots of help. Read all their plans online (do you want pre-pay or an account with billing each month? Do you want USA Canada free roaming or not? Etc)  

On the Telcel website:

*In accordance with Rule 37 of the Number Portability Rules issued by the Federal Institute of Telecommunications and published in the Official Gazette of the Federation on November 12, 2014, portability will be carried out within a maximum period of 24 hours counted from the moment the request was entered, as long as this occurs between 11:00 and 17:00 hours of reference time (time zone in the center of the country) on a business day (Monday to Saturday except holidays). Requests submitted after hours or on a non-business day will be considered as submitted at 11:00 a.m. of the following business day, at which time the maximum period of 24 hours referred to in the rules will run. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

TELCEL is the company. Telmex is a different company. 

I'd thought there was a historical connection. Not that it matters.

Read all their plans online

Dude, I'm a software engineer at a gigantic internet company. I just don't care for salespeople. Mobile and internet services in the States are mature, but in Mexico they're still "sold."

3 hours ago, ibarra said:

We have had 2 Telcel packages for many years with very little problems.

Seems to be the consensus. Telcel it is.

Thanks.

LQ

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lou Quillio said:

Dude, I'm a software engineer at a gigantic internet company. I just don't care for salespeople. Mobile and internet services in the States are mature, but in Mexico they're still "sold."

I suggested you check out all the different plans online so you wouldn't have to deal with one of us Mexican salespeople.

Tengo muchos apodos.... ninguno es "dude"

• Like 4

I suggested you check out all the different plans online so you wouldn't have to deal with one of us Mexican salespeople.

Tengo muchos apodos.... ninguno es "dude"

No need to apologize when you are better than others....