Chapala.com Webboard

Kiwisat DTH Satellite Service in Mexico

Ezzie

This is the info I have received from Cabosat:

All we sale are the receivers and programming. You will be responsible to find and installer. You will also need at least a 75 cm dish to pick up the satellite. Your installer should be able to get one of these you.

What part of Jalisco are you in? Maybe I can help you find an installer.

The receivers are $350 dollars each and the LNBs are $50 each. Shipping and importation are extra, usually around 30-40% extra.

The programming is $65 per month for one receiver and each receiver is an extra $10 dollars per month. The programming must be paid Six months in advance. So the total for Six months with four receivers is $570 dollars plus tax. 

A credit card is required to pay the programming.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Quite a difference in price to what is quoted on the Kiwisat's website. I tried calling today and was on hold for 30 minutes and then hung up. I will try again tomorrow. It does seem that buying the equipment and dealing with Kiwisat itself may be the way to go. 

WOW!!  That is a bit rich for those receivers.  I don't understamd what is so special about them that would make them cost that much.  The cost of set-top boxes with similar technology on AliExpress is in the range of $30-40 US.  I have been researching FTA satellite and just received a Chinese DVB-S2 box that cost me only $568 MX including shipping from China.  It is a kU band receiver that has HEVC encoding support as well so is the same technology that most of the satellite broadcasters (including Kiwisat) are now using.  The one I am experimenting with is the GT Media V9 Prime. 

I agree and think there may be a bit of price gauging by that company. It would appear that the best way to go is direct with Florida. I am also hoping someone in this area will set up as a distributor at a more reasonable price.  a

I got the answer about the receivers, one is needed for each tv unlike DISH and Shaw.

Starlink is a quite expensive option as well.  $8,300 for the equipment, $1,100 per mo. for service and then you have the cost of additional software such as a VPN and the fees of the providers (such as Netflix, etc.) that you want to stream.

10 hours ago, Ezzie said:

Starlink is a quite expensive option as well.  $8,300 for the equipment, $1,100 per mo. for service and then you have the cost of additional software such as a VPN and the fees of the providers (such as Netflix, etc.) that you want to stream.

Well we all have internet and the price is competitive. Vpn nord is much cheaper if you buy it in mexico with pesos and by the year. And pick 1 or 2 cheap services like basic hulu a month. Philo is a great streaming channel service for cheap. 

• Like 1

I have been streaming https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/latam-channel-guide which is from Canada. If you open the link without a vpn, everything is in Spanish. If you use a vpn and set it in the U.S. or Canada, all the content is in English. FREE. I like free. It has bridged the gap for me during the entertainment strikes and there is a LOT of content. Usually, I watch the DIY channels but, on Friday night, I watched the movie "Enemy at the Gates". Powerful.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Ferret said:

I have been streaming https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/latam-channel-guide which is from Canada. If you open the link without a vpn, everything is in Spanish. If you use a vpn and set it in the U.S. or Canada, all the content is in English. FREE. I like free. It has bridged the gap for me during the entertainment strikes and there is a LOT of content. Usually, I watch the DIY channels but, on Friday night, I watched the movie "Enemy at the Gates". Powerful.

Yes nice service. 

On 11/13/2023 at 7:45 AM, Ferret said:

Good link, Ferret. Thanks.
I used it in the Opera browser with its built-in VPN and got results in English

Just an update.  I have heard via my contacts that Ajijic Electronics has made arrangements with Kiwisat to be a dealer for this area.  They apparently have some recivers that are due t arrive any day now.  I don't have any info on pricing yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Just another update.  A number of my neighbours as well as myself have ordered Kiwisat, receivers are on the way from the US.  Mike Merriman at Ajijic Electronics will support the installation and ongoing technical support.  We must deal directly with Kiwisat in Miami for account setup, ordering, activation  and ongoing administrative support such as billing.  Receivers are currently $150 US per receiver plus FL State Tax and shipping.  You can put anywhere from 1-6 receivers on the same account supported from a single dish setup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No specific table of costs yet.  The LNB's appear to be an "off-the-shelf" linear Ku band universal LNB with an LO frequency of 9.75 - 10.6 gHz.  This is the same LNB that we used to receive signals from the Shaw Direct Anik F2 if using a non-Shaw dish.  I have ordered a new one with those specs from Amazon MX - link as follows:

(https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B0C5WWPH4G?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1)

---that is on it's way from China so I will see how it works with my dish/receiver setup.  The cost of that one (a dual port) is around $300 pesos.  When I talked to Mike, he was skeptical it will work with Kiwisat but said he could supply one for about $1,000 MX.  His installation and setup cost will depend on what he has to do at each individual house but has charged my neighbours that already have it about $2,000-2,300 MX.

• Thanks 1

Just a bit more info, I have a cheap Chinese made FTA receiver here and not touching a thing with the dish and LNB I was using for Shaw (still aimed at the Anik F2), I can see all of the Shaw transponders fine so I know the dish and LNB is fine. No reception though because, of course, all of Shaw's signals are encripted.  Now that the rains have stopped, I am going to get up on the roof and try and hit the SES-10 satellite (the one Kiwisat uses) and see if I can see it's transponders.  If so, when the Kiwisat receiver gets here and has been activated,  it should be a "plug-and-play".

• Like 2

Good news.  Finally got up on the roof today and swung my Shaw dish setup around to where the SES-10 satellite is located and was able to lock onto the transponders. The one that Kiwisat is carried on (11900H) was found.  This tells me that a universal LNB will work.  The new LNB I ordered from Amazon MX is supposed to be here tomorrow so I will install it and see if it works fine.  

• Like 2

Set up the dish today by installing the new LNB I got on Amazon and finished tweaking the dish alignment.  Was able to lock on Kiwisat's two transponders on the SES-10 bird and can see 167 TV channels.  There is only one FTA channel, #001 PBS Miami (in HD) that you can view without the Kiwisat receiver since you need to be subscribed.  With my dish and the new LNB I was able to get 90% signal strength and 81% signal quality.  So nothing special here folks, good to go as soon as I get my receiver.

• Like 2

One thing to note that I found in doing this, if you are using one of the old "offset" fiberglass dishes (that I believe were originally used in this area for Dish USA), you may have to extend the mount a few inches higher.  The elevation for the SES-10 satellite is only 42.8 degrees above horizontal.  This is lower off the horizon than Shaw was.  The dish pan is oval and about 1.8 mtrs. tall so the bottom edge of the pan comes right down to the roof deck.  My installation is sitting on a cement pedestal so I have a couple of inches of clearance but an install that is directly on a flat roof may need to be raised. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
 KIWISAT Teleport Site Relocating to Las Vegas

As a satellite TV provider, KIWISAT always tries to improve the quality of TV service for the subscribers.

We are proud to announce that KIWISAT has been moved the Teleport site from Miami, FL to Las Vegas, NV.

The advantages for the Teleport relocating to Las Vegas:

1. No hurricane and critical disaster for satellite transmission.

2. Lower rainfall (Average year 4.19 inches in Las Vegas vs Miami 73.98 inches.).

Thanks for being our customers. We are here to serve you better.

KIWISAT Team

dish-farm.jpg

MYKIWISAT powerful new feature available now: One click Self-Service &Top up

We are here to serve you, 7 days a week, 7AM-11PM.

KIWISAT WhatsApp. https://wa.me/message/KA5XCARF53QMC1

Toll free : +1 888-348-1986

Puerto Rico : +1 787-339-2177

Florida : +1 305-547-8530

Saint. Martin (Caribbean) : +590-590-77-68-77

Email : service@mykiwisat.com

• 3 weeks later...

How to Record Programs with the Kiwisat Receiver. 

The current receiver that Kiwisat is shipping is the "MICO-P6Plus".  These instructions are for that one.

I finally have this working.  I could find no information anywhere on how to do this so I had to "play" for awhile and finally have it figured out.

Here are the things I learned.

Any type of USB compatible memory stick or portable hard disk drive will work - USB 3.0 interface is standard.

Most of the Windows 10/11 compatible external portable hard disk drives you buy won't work out of the box and need to be reformatted to the older and more universally used "FAT32" file system.  Windows 10 will only allow you to format to either the NTFS or exFAT (extended FAT) file systems.  The Kiwisat receivers won't work with either.  I had to use my PC with a 3rd party formatter to get the drive reformatted.

Big capacity hard drives will work.  The Toshiba 2TB portable USB disk drive I just bought came pre-formatted to the NTFS file system.  The receiver recognized it and indicated I could store 99 hours of HD programming - but I couldn't record to it.  I tried reformatting to the exFAT file system, but the receiver would not even see it.  Once I reformatted it to FAT32, it worked right away.

Recording Procedure

The receiver only has one tuner so you can only record from one channel at a time.

You can start recording what you are watching live at any time by pressing the button that has a red circle (beside the SAT button).

When you have a compatible storage device attached, you can see the program listings for 7 days in the future when using the EPG button.

You can record a future program by going to the channel that carries the program, hit the EPG button, toggle to the day (on the left of the screen), the program (on the right of the screen) and press F! (the red coloured key).

To watch a program that you have already recorded, go to the Media menu and toggle down to PVR player and you will see a list of your recordings.  Select the one you want to playback and hit the OK key.

To delete a recording, go to the PVR menu, select the program and follow the on screen instructions.

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2023 at 11:10 AM, luvsdawgs said:

I live close to them, their customer service or should I say future customer service is not very good, they take forever to answer if they do, I contacted them a couple of months ago,I find Ajijic Electronics to be a better option, from what forums users have said.

We sent a guy named Manny Avilez credit card information 2 weeks ago to send us a Kiwiset box and have M.M. here in town set it up for us...I emailed him several times stating a receipt for the CC info and he mailed me back stating that my emails did not contain the attachment and he never got it...Yesterday we found out that the CC had been charged 714 Dollars and now he is ghosting me....I am going to give him a chance to make things right and will update this thread when and if he does....If he doest i will let you now who and who not to trust with your money