Chapala.com Webboard

Experience using a T-Mobile Plan in Jalisco and Mexico

Any experience using T-Mobile from the States in Jalisco or Mexico in General?

We currently have Verizon from the States with unlimited calls, unlimited texts and internet use.... phone service has been good (roaming with TelCel) all around Mexico but Verizon is expensive. I know we could $ave real money with a Mexican Phone plan, but it's NOT happening right now.

What kind of T-Mobile plan do you have? Is T-Mobile a good choice for a NOB plan to use in Mexico?

We're heading back to the US soon for a short family visit and I wanted to compare T-Mobile to see if I could save some money versus Verizon.

🤠 Mucas gracias for your comments and help!!

I have a T-Mobile "over 55" Magenta plan. In the US it is unlimited everything. I pay $35/mo with auto-pay. 2nd person on plan pays the same.

When I cross the border Telcel picks up coverage. Data is then limited to, I think, 5GB/mo. It still "acts" like it is in the US with respect to how one dials my number. I dial Mexican numbers normally.  I think that coverage in Mexico is the same as if I had a Telcel Plan.

My Pixel phone supports dual SIMS. If I am at Lakeside longer term I will put in a Telcel SIM (for better data and normal inbound calling).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently returned to Mexico.  I had a Verizon plan but knew that they wanted $10/day to allow my unlimited plan in Mexico.  I had an opportunity to visit Tlaquepaque, Jalisco last December prior to my move.  I switched to T-Mobile prior to my visit.  Although they said that everything would work down here perfectly, I ran out of high speed data within 3 days and was switched to the lower speed data.  The problem is that at the lower speed I was unable to do anything with it.  I could not even play a simple online game on my phone.  After I returned to the US I switched to ATT.  It works fine for me here now.  Internet is always good but there are a couple of dead spots for phone calls around the Chapala/Ajijic area but overall good, without the extra daily or monthly charges for international service.  Also T-Mobile told me that if did not return to the US every 6 months that they would disconnect my service.  I don't know if that is true or not but I did not want to risk it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a T-Mobile plan just so we can get US  text verification codes from bank and other venues. They won’t call email or text a Mx #. We have unlimited calls wifi text and 5 gb data. However TM said if we didn’t use the phone in the US once every 3 months our number would be canceled. The plan is 45US. But for 5 more US a month we can use the phone indefinitely in Mx and not have the number canceled. Total 48US. We looked into the 3US a month plan but it didn’t give us what we needed. It is what it is with US only texting a US phone for a verification code. A pain. 

• Thanks 1