Chapala.com Webboard

West Ajijic recent, but nightly, dogs in distress

For the past two weeks or so, a group of large and small dogs begins to howl/snarl/bark on and off, but through the night, starting around 8pm. (They're sounding off now.) It sounds like dog fights--or dogs fighting something getting into their yard. There's snarling, growling, crying, pain...it stops briefly, then it starts again.

General area is between La Huerta Eventos and Los Sabinos, just north of the carretera but below Camino al Rincón. Since it's pitch dark and we've got some wildlife, I'm reluctant to drive around and see what's what.

Anyone living in this area able to shed some light on what's going on?

TIA!

Female street dogs in heat? Usually it is 2 times a year females go into heat. I haven´t seen the male street dogs following females around and fighting over a female recently but it seems to happen and I have seen it many times before in the daytime and nightime. Possibly some people let their pet dogs out at night in that area, or the dogs know how to escape their property and sleep during the day at home. Not uncommon.

"Although it varies with different breeds and individual dogs, an unspayed female usually goes into heat twice yearly, about every six months.

How Long Does a Dog Stay in Heat?

The time during which male dogs are attracted to a female dog is variable, approximately 18 days. However, females are receptive to males for only about half of this time."

• 4 weeks later...

It's a male and female with their four-month-old pups. The pups harass the two horses tied to rocks in the field behind us (Los Sabinos). The screams you hear is when one of the horses kicks a pup. I'm a dog lover, but who could blame a horse for saying, "Enough already"! I asked my Mexican neighbor to please talk to the man who has the animals; he did, and now we rarely hear the barking (something about if the barking doesn't stop, I will poison them ).

Archived