Chapala.com Webboard

Getting rid of flies in restaurants

ComputerGuy

An old trick: half-fill a ziplock baggie with water and 4 or 5 pennies, and hang it in the problem area. It really works.

"Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area and thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain but I tried it and it worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but he didn't hang around long."

We keep the ceilings fans on all the time, we also have a couple of those little fan machines with the black light that attracts the bugs and then sucks them in with no chemicals. We fumigate at night and early in the morning EVERY day but this time of year it's impossible to get rid of all bugs. Fly paper has helped but it's hard but can only have it in the kitchen and when guests are not around. bags of water and fly paper aren't exactly great for ambiance.

Archived