Chapala.com Webboard

Leaving from Chapala area to Laredo in about ten days; anyone else have a similar schedule for a trip north?

We are leaving from Ixlauacan headed north to Laredo in about ten days and would like to follow someone who knows the way to the boarder, better then we do. We only take toll roads where possible and only do the speed limit so if you are in a hurry we would probably hold you up. But if you are interested in forming a convoy of sorts please let us know either by answering on this forum or PM me if you would prefer. We have made the trip three times before and have a reliable GPS so we can manage on our own but feel that there may be safety in numbers. Thanks in advance.

The easiest way to McAllen is to follow the big green signs, as follows:

Toward GUADALAJARA, then

toward MEXICO, then

toward LAGOS DE MORENO, then

toward SAN LUIS POTOSI, then

toward MATEHUALA, then

toward CIUDAD VICTORIA, then

toward MATAMOROS, then

towarrd REYNOSA and the INTERNATIONAL BRIDGE at PHARR, TX.

If you consult your map, you will see that this is the most direct route with lower cuota costs and that Pharr abuts McAllen, TX.

If you wish to break the 720 mile trip into two days, as we always did, you will find hotels in either San Luis Potosi or Ciudad Victoria are both convenient and comfortable; neither is far off your track.

As soon as you see the next waypoint on a big green sign, forget the previous one.

Thanks RVGringo, that is helpful but the reason I was asking about the distance between Laredo and McAllen is because in post#3, Lakeside101 mentioned that they have plans to leave for McAllen later in the month. It might be possible for us to alter our departure datesby a few days and follow them north depending on how far one border is from the other; or, we maybe could follow them part way. We are ultimately headed north east to Ontario, Canada

I sugggest that you get a copy of GUIA ROJI Gran Atlas de Carreteras. You can consult the tabla de distancias for distances between any two places. My eyesight prevents me from doing that for you, and my wife is napping.

With the directions above, and the atlas of road maps, you will have no trouble finding your way and certainly will not have to suffer the inconvenience of following someone else. It is a pleasant trip, especially if you take it easy and stop for the night, as suggested. Either of those cities offer a chance to stretch your legs, explore a new town and enjoy a good dinner and breakfast before continiuing on in the morning.

From Monterrey to Nuevo Laredo is 225 km.

From Monterrey to Reynosa (McAllen) is 221 km.

From Laredo TX to McAllen TX is 231 km.

You mention that you are driving to Ontario.

From Laredo to Windsor Ontario is 2596 km.

From McAllen to Windsor Ontario is 2722 km.

If you're going to Pharr, you don't go near Monterrey.

Pharr has the advantage that you can reach it in a day, 10 or 10.5 hours to the U.S. border entry. How long from there depends on how much they want to make you sit waiting that day. On the other side, is a complete choice of hotels, from cheap and decent to pricey. Cheap and decent is $40 per night more in Laredo.

Also, once you leave Lagos de Moreno, the Pharr route completely avoids any larger towns. You drive right up to the border without going into Reynosa.

I may be interested in going having driven to Laredo last year. I usually cross near El Paso as it's closer for me to go that way. But, I went to the wrong crossing in Laredo, the truck crossing, and it was a chore as US Customs went thru my RV and X-Ray'ed it. They were very nice about it but I sure won't go that way again. Email me at rztraveler-mexrv@yahoo.com and we can discuss it. Ron

Archived