Chapala.com Webboard

Flying out of mexico w/o your Fm 3

Has anyone flown out of mexico to the states w/o having received your new immigration card and had trouble getting back? We have not received our cards (applied december 3) and need to go back. We have heard get a letter saying card is pending then got advised to say " i lost it". we need to make flight reservations this weekend. Anyone? Spenser?

It is NOT advisable to just leave without that letter. With the new immigration laws, they WILL CANCEL your current application. If this happens, then you will have to apply for a brand new residente temporal or residente permanente and you WILL have to show financials.

I am sure Spencer will weigh in on this, but this is what I have been hearing.

Your falicitator can get you a letter or you can do it yourself if you know your way around the inm website in Spanish. There is an on line application. You have to print it out and bring it in to INM, along with a letter and copy of the sheet of paper that shows your NUT,

Facilitators are charging anywhere between 600 and 800 pesos. I don't know the woman's name, but she is someone who will prepare documentation that you can take, yourself, to the INM office... and she is in San Antonio Tlayacapan. I believe she charges the least.

The actual fee is around 350 pesos. In any case, we have been through this before and Spencer told us how important it is to get this document. The fellas at immigration have seen a lot of them and know what to do. You only have to go in one week before your trip to get it. Maybe your card will have shown up by then.

There is an earlier thread that tells you exactly what to do. I have not had enough coffee to search for it for you. I think virgogirl started that one.

Yes, you need the letter even for a land crossing. Couple of weeks ago (during Easter holidays) I exited and re-entered at Pharr thinking the "in Tramite" letter with my NUT# would be sufficient. The INM officer at the border refused me entry and would not even check his computer to verify I was in it. My card at the time was somewhere between Mexico City and Chapala. I was not able to get an FMM either or take out a new Tourist permit on a temporary basis.

so how did you get in??

I had to use a facilitator and it ended up costing more than it would have if I had taken the time to get the exit letter. Point is, you must have the letter now before you leave the country. The INM Officers at the border will not issue you one, you have to get it from the office where you are getting your renewal.

I understand that if my fingerprints have been taken, I can have the finished card fed Xed to me in the States. So, I am planning to go ahead and fly. Out without the FM if necessary. I am scheduled to leave in a week.

You cannot have another person pick up your card, I suspect. You have to sign 2 ledger books and sign a final form that you recieved your card on that date.

You cannot have another person pick up your card, I suspect. You have to sign 2 ledger books and sign a final form that you recieved your card on that date.

Our facilitor told us the exact opposite-that when the card is ready, he will get it and mail to us. I will check with him tomorrow to make sure.

You must get the permission to leave letter or risk your immigration card being canceled if you try to enter or exit as a tourist. Sure we charge 900 pesos for the permission to leave, we need to make 2 trips to immigration as well as the bank and check back with them and wait. Some people have lots of time and little money [little cents and sense], others don't have time to wait in lines for hours, to each his own.

I have picked up more than 100 immigration cards and we do have clients sign an authorization allowing us to pick up the cards. I have hired 3 new people in the past few months and for them to pick up the cards we simply have the client sign a power of attorney authorizing the new person. The other day we picked up a few cards and fedexed them to clients outside Mexico, I have 4 permanente cards I picked up Friday from immigration in Guadalajara. At least one of those people is outside Mexico for a while so we will call them and then send them their card via Fedex Monday.

Please read prior posts about people doing their papers wrong and making multiple visits. Is a few hundred pesos really alot to pay to not make 2 trips to immigration, one to the bank and 2 trips to the lady at the paper store to prepare forms, assuming she does it right?

You must get the permission to leave letter or risk your immigration card being canceled if you try to enter or exit as a tourist. Sure we charge 900 pesos for the permission to leave, we need to make 2 trips to immigration as well as the bank and check back with them and wait. Some people have lots of time and little money [little cents and sense], others don't have time to wait in lines for hours, to each his own.

I have picked up more than 100 immigration cards and we do have clients sign an authorization allowing us to pick up the cards. I have hired 3 new people in the past few months and for them to pick up the cards we simply have the client sign a power of attorney authorizing the new person. The other day we picked up a few cards and fedexed them to clients outside Mexico, I have 4 permanente cards I picked up Friday from immigration in Guadalajara. At least one of those people is outside Mexico for a while so we will call them and then send them their card via Fedex Monday.

Please read prior posts about people doing their papers wrong and making multiple visits. Is a few hundred pesos really alot to pay to not make 2 trips to immigration, one to the bank and 2 trips to the lady at the paper store to prepare forms, assuming she does it right?

I used to take care of my own renewal, it was easy and fast in the last couple of years. However with all the changes in place I do agree with Spencer that a facilitator makes much more sense now. I have been very pleased with Spencer's office in getting my permanente visa, and yes he gets your cards for you if you sign a power of attorney. My spanish is pretty good but I would not attempt now to renew without help, Spencer's office is an excellent choice to get things done and keep you out of trouble.

Archived