Chapala.com Webboard

Unbelievable

Shira

MEXICO, DF. (proceso.com.mx).--The Mexican Office of Attorney General (PGR: Procuraduria General de la Republica) has decided to restrict official reports about organized crime in the country for 12 years, such as the number of cartels, their names and their areas of operation.

The agency headed by Jesus Murillo Karam argues that disclosure of these facts would affect law enforcement strategies (used) to fight organized crime and would, in addition, even risk the lives of criminals themselves, according to Reforma (journal).

Pursuant to the Transparency law, the newspaper requested from the PGR information about the number of cartels that operate in the country, their structure and zones of influence.

However, the PGR argued that, due to the current situation in the country, giving out that information represents a risk to the safety of the persons mentioned in those reports, because different criminal organizations may obtain information that can be used against them, placing their physical integrity, including their lives, at risk.

It adds: "Revealing information presents a clear threat to the development of strategies that are based on said document, in addition to revealing information about the location of persons directly related to organized crime, which represents a risk against their life and physical integrity, when they are directly identifiable and locatable."

The newspaper recalls that during the Felipe Calderon administration, the PGR, the Federal Public Safety Secretariat, the Federal Police and the Army gave detailed information about the principal criminal organizations that were operating in Mexico, the names of their leaders and the areas they controlled.

please, post the link, thanks.

I found it, thanks. it is in Spanish.

Well, let´s see the other side. Most of the low lever drug dealers, are checking on the news in order to know what is happening and where...so maybe, if they do not know the situation, they maybe, stop some of the fights....or maybe not..... :wacko:

I found it, thanks. it is in Spanish.

Well, let´s see the other side. Most of the low lever drug dealers, are checking on the news in order to know what is happening and where...so maybe, if they do not know the situation, they maybe, stop some of the fights....or maybe not..... :wacko:

This has nothing to do with 'low level drug dealers checking on the news'. It is about censorship so that the person on the street will think the so-called drug war is over.

doberwoman, lower level drug dealers are too smart to read the news. (they are much smarter than the "person on the street"). they get their info from their boss, its a well run operation.

doberwoman, lower level drug dealers are too smart to read the news. (they are much smarter than the "person on the street"). they get their info from their boss, its a well run operation.

You sound like an expert. Are you in the business? What is your background? I know Shira and More Liana, two people who's opinions I respect. I do not know Rony, but he had been very, very good at explaining his history, educational background, business background and his involvement in community. That helps in knowing how to interpret his postings. I am eager to read what he has to say.

You also have opinions and sound as if you are a long time resident, very involved in either business and the community. I respect your desire to keep your identity private but it would help understand the validity of what you post to know some of your background. I am sincerly interested. You are one of the most frequent posters. I don't mean to ask for personal info.

hello valgal, read the messages, forget the "messenger". if the info resonates w/you, then it has some truth. believe in your own perceptions. forget about "qualifications" "backrounds". rony's posts are excellent, but not because of his profession, or time spent here. i am a reclusive person, not selling, not involved in community. yes i know the area well. thankyou for asking.

Again, the post is from www.borderlandbeat.com and is in English.

The Borderland Beat article is a translation from the Spanish-language article that was printed in the well-respected Mexico City newsmagazine PROCESO.

This has nothing to do with 'low level drug dealers checking on the news'. It is about censorship so that the person on the street will think the so-called drug war is over.

Not really true, just a rumor going around. They have decided not to show police actions in progress and violent videos recently but not what you mentioned.

The national news FORO this morning just had a spot on the current drug war and the drug seizures, arrests and arms seized with videos of some of these displayed since Aug. 2012 to Dec, 2012 and the Dec. 2012 to April 2013 numbers on the siezures, arrests and arms confiscated with some videos and the numbers in both periods were staggering. Alan

Not really true, just a rumor going around. They have decided not to show police actions in progress and violent videos recently but not what you mentioned.

The national news FORO this morning just had a spot on the current drug war and the drug seizures, arrests and arms seized with videos of some of these displayed since Aug. 2012 to Dec, 2012 and the Dec. 2012 to April 2013 numbers on the siezures, arrests and arms confiscated with some videos and the numbers in both periods were staggering. Alan

See post #13 up-thread. Go read the article, either in the original Spanish or in Borderland Beat's English translation.

Big headline in my morning paper today (April 11, 2013 El Universal, in case you want to check):

SEGOB: BAJAN LOS HOMICIDIOS LIGADOS A NARCO

Big story on last night's news (Canal Proyecto 140): during the four months between December 1, 2012 (the day Peña Niego took office) and March 31, 2013, the number of narco-related killings rose to more than 4,100.

You believe whatever you want, but if you still believe what your quoted post says, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

See post #13 up-thread. Go read the article, either in the original Spanish or in Borderland Beat's English translation.

Big headline in my morning paper today (April 11, 2013 El Universal, in case you want to check):

Big story on last night's news (Canal Proyecto 140): during the four months etween December 1, 2012 (the day Peña Niego took office) and March 31, 2013, the number of narco-related killings rose to more than 4,100.

You believe whatever you want, but if you still believe what your quoted post says, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

You state: " It is about censorship so that the person on the street will think the so-called drug war is over."

The modifying reporting is a very far cry from people thinking the drug war is over, was my point. They still report news about it, not like before, but still news and people know it is not over in this case. It appears your statement was a bit overzealous at this point of time. We will see. IMO Alan

Here is another article on it from NOB: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mexico-violence-20130411,0,1966210.story

there is no "drug war". there was never a "drug war". this was a term that was invented way back in the USA. maybe it was from the johnson admistration or reagen. then caulderon used the term. is a business, which causes conflict. it happens to be a business which technically is not legal, but very competitive. the returns are high, contribute multiple millions to the banks in the US & over seas. the rest is media & political theatre. it is as boring as TSA patdowns, terrorism, it is what it is. if mexico & the US wanted to stop the drug buisness, they would have. remember the slogan, "just say no"?

Big story on last night's news (Canal Proyecto 140): during the four months between December 1, 2012 (the day Peña Niego took office) and March 31, 2013, the number of narco-related killings rose to more than 4,100.

Of course every day we know about just few killings in Mexico, because nobody reports of any!!!!! Mex Gov has gagged all media!

Good to see that somebody watch this good show Todo Personal...in Canal 140.

Social cynicism is a widespead attitude amongst Mexican citizens, and I share that philosophy. Unlike depression, cynical individuals can go on with their lives and work in spite of what happens. I don't give a tinker's damn what is on the government's agenda. If I see the results, evidence that violence has been curtailed, I'll be happy for that.

Of course every day we know about just few killings in Mexico, because nobody reports of any!!!!! Mex Gov has gagged all media!

Good to see that somebody watch this good show Todo Personal...in Canal 140.

Where do you get this information from? News is all over Mexico about these current events.

For example: http://www.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/2013/03/01/886779

Where do you get this information from? News is all over Mexico about these current events.

For example: http://www.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/2013/03/01/886779

Alan, read this: http://www.proceso.com.mx/?p=338329

The Proceso information came from the newspaper Reforma.

If you prefer to read an English-language translation, read here: http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/04/mexican-government-seals-cartel.html

Yes, some narco news is leaking out. But the major narcoviolencia stories have been stopped in most parts of Mexico.

Archived