Chapala.com Webboard

Need Boat Tour Info

I have friends visiting from Canada and they are interested in taking a boat tour on Saturday (daytime). They specifically asked about the Joco boat tours but would also be interested in the Batour (sp?) or a boat trip from Chapala Malecon. Can anyone give me any information including times and frequencies of the various boat tours; price and features would be welcomed information also. Thanks

Here's a bit of a different idea. A very enjoyable day was had by driving 20 km east of Chapala to Mezcala where any of the locals will go out of their way to get you a guided boat tour to Presidio Island, the only place in Mexico that the Spanish were not successful in overtaking during the Spanish invasion of Mexico. They are very proud of their little 'tourist attraction' and go to great lengths to describe the history of the prisons that were operated on the island and how the indigenous people were able to hold off the Spaniards. A 20 or 30 minute boat ride gets you out to the island, tour takes an hour or so (depending on questions) & then return to Mezcala where you can view the artifacts from the island kept in the little museum they have put together. It's really quite nice.

When you go a little East past the entrance to the fish restaurants and boat ramp, the parking attendants (car washers, etc.) often have tickets at 50% off for the Batur trip. They get them as incentives to try to get tourists to go on the cruises and make a small percentage on each ticket sold.

I had several guests from out of town and checked with the ticket takers at the dock before buying them from the parking guys and they said they were legit. They were indeed legit. We had a great cruise.

Archived