Chapala.com Webboard

Brandy instead of cognac

HelperGuy

Making coq au vin today with red wine, after experiencing Laurent's coq with white wine... which was tasty, but not right. It's a Julia Child recipe and calls for cognac at one point for flambeing. I don't drink, but I do keep brandy in the house. Rather than spring for a bottle of cognac that I otherwise won't use, would I notice much/any difference using the brandy?

Cognac is a regional name for brandy from the Cognac region. Difference in quality probably not discernible after cooking. To many people the Cognac is superior in quality, for imbibing this is probably true, it is after all, very subjective. Enjoy.

Making coq au vin today with red wine, after experiencing Laurent's coq with white wine... which was tasty, but not right. It's a Julia Child recipe and calls for cognac at one point for flambeing. I don't drink, but I do keep brandy in the house. Rather than spring for a bottle of cognac that I otherwise won't use, would I notice much/any difference using the brandy?

Coq au vin must be done with red wine. One can use whatever he/she wants but it is not correct. Brandy id OK

Coq au vin must be done with red wine. One can use whatever he/she wants but it is not correct. Brandy id OK

In fact, as HelperGuy said, Julia Child's recipe includes both red wine AND cognac (brandy).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/chicken-in-red-wine-with-onions-mushrooms-and-bacon-coq-au-vin-recipe/index.html

Not correct by what standard? Where the rules recorded and who's the judge? Does using white wine break some culinary law or simply tradition? Apparently not.

This from the web: While the wine is typically Burgundy wine,[1] many regions of France have variants of coq au vin using the local wine, such as coq au vin jaune (Jura), coq au Riesling (Alsace), coq au Champagne, and so on.

So, if you're going to be absolutely correct you'd need a bottle of French Burgundy or failing that, a bottle of Pinot Noir.

Of course Coq au Vin​ is ubiquitous, with thousands of different variations, being essentially a chicken fricassee made with wine. To be true to the name, one would need an old rooster to really make an authentic Coq. My copy of Laurosse Gstronomique has a plethora of entries including Coq au Chamtertain, interesting if one has the several hundreds of dollars for a bottle of Chambertain.

Still, Rachel Ray as opposed to Julia?

Archived