Chapala.com Webboard

La Parilla Loca, Chapala

RVGRINGO

We've just come from enjoying a delightful breakfast buffet at 'La Parrilla Loca', a new Chapala restaurant on the waterfront. Its entrance is from Hidalgo, immediately opposite the large mural and next to 'The Coffee Tree' (Arbol de Cafe), or from the malecon itself, if you are walking.

Service was excellent and attentive with juice and coffee arriving immediately. We then visited the buffet and helped ourselves to various meats, stews, beans, fruits and a wonderful cheesecake. The omelets we ordered were brought to the table for us. The vista over the lake is stunning and the ambience of the restaurant offers many seating options around an infinity pool. The buffet is 100 pesos and one may also order from the menu. This place is a keeper and should do well at any time of the day or evening.

Had friends that went on Sunday and just raved about the place.

Our Mexican neighbors went and said they weren't that impressed and the bathrooms were dirty for a new place.

Everyone always has a different take on everything.

We've just come from enjoying a delightful breakfast buffet at 'La Parrilla Loca', a new Chapala restaurant on the waterfront. Its entrance is from Hidalgo, immediately opposite the large mural and next to 'The Coffee Tree' (Arbol de Cafe), or from the malecon itself, if you are walking.

Service was excellent and attentive with juice and coffee arriving immediately. We then visited the buffet and helped ourselves to various meats, stews, beans, fruits and a wonderful cheesecake. The omelets we ordered were brought to the table for us. The vista over the lake is stunning and the ambience of the restaurant offers many seating options around an infinity pool. The buffet is 100 pesos and one may also order from the menu. This place is a keeper and should do well at any time of the day or evening.

Is the "breakfast buffet" on weekends only, or all week long?

My wife says she thinks it is every day, but there is also a menu available in addition to the buffet.

Great place to sit, sip & chat. I think it is run by the owners of La Iguana de Piedra.

My wife says she thinks it is every day, but there is also a menu available in addition to the buffet.

Great place to sit, sip & chat. I think it is run by the owners of La Iguana de Piedra.

If it is run by the owners of the Iguana, thats a great recomendation.... thanks!

I can't help you there. My breakfast consisted of chorrizo, pork, beef, bacon, tongue, cheesecake, pineapple, orange juice, bread & butter and coffee. I didn't even look at the menu! :lol:

We went there this morning. The breakfast buffet is only on Saturday and Sunday until 12:30 pm. They have no breakfast menu that you can hold in your hands. They tell you that you can have eggs, omelettes, bacon, etc. Our breakfast was fine. There were several other tables filled too.

They only have a comida menu which is very large. They are owned by the same people who own La Piedra de Iguana in San Juan Cosala which should mean good food as we like the Iguana place. The place is just lovely with attracitve and comfortable furniture. They have put quite a bit of money into this new restaurant.

We went today at about 10:30 for breakfast. It was very good as was the service. The restaurant is very nicely done and has a great view of the lake. We will certainly be back for lunch or dinner, if only for the ambience.

The menu's were only in Spanish (which we can't read) but we were told that English versions would be available soon?

This is the kind of place where you could kick back with a margarita or two and spend a pleasant afternoon just being.

Only negative was the men's room which needed attention. No toilet seats-WTH? With all the money they have apparently spent on making this place so beautiful, that was a real letdown.

We went today at about 10:30 for breakfast. It was very good as was the service. The restaurant is very nicely done and has a great view of the lake. We will certainly be back for lunch or dinner, if only for the ambience.

The menu's were only in Spanish (which we can't read) but we were told that English versions would be available soon?

This is the kind of place where you could kick back with a margarita or two and spend a pleasant afternoon just being.

Only negative was the men's room which needed attention. No toilet seats-WTH? With all the money they have apparently spent on making this place so beautiful, that was a real letdown.

We were once told by gringos who've been in Mexico over 30 years that many public bathrooms don't have toilet seats because scorpions like to hide under them. Who really knows but it sounded sensible!

A friend and I had lunch at Parrilla Loca today. We ordered the molcajete. We both agreed it is the best we ever had, though different from the cheese based type I love.

Other friends there had the salmon and said it was excellent.

Many of the dishes are very pricey, others not so much. 80P for a hamburger and 160P for ribs is very high. The chicken molcajete was 150P and the arachera molcajete was 190P.

The lake view is spectacular.

Have not had comida there yet but look forward to it. Since they are owned by the folks who own the very successful and beautiful La Piedra de Iguana in SJC, I know their style of cooking and really like it. The molcajetes are indeed excellent, Shira. I suggest the Shrimp Empanadas too - really gooood!

I am so excited to read these reviews. Thanks RV for posting first. I live in Chapala and am always in search of a good restaurant. We will soon try it.

I am wondering if anyone who has been to this restaurant can comment on vegetarian offerings.

We tried it this morning (Sunday) and except for omelets and french toast, a vegetarian would have a hard time finding dishes to suit their diet. There were many meat offerings, from a good creamed chicken to sausages and a mushroom dish which included sausages. Beans and tortillas. Lots of fruit and juice offerings.

HOWEVER, their lunch menu prices are clearly keyed to the tourist trade. Much higher than restaurant prices in the rest of Lakeside.

Beautiful view; comfortable seating; no toilet seats in the ladies' room, either. lol. The excuse I heard about "scorpions hiding under toilet seats" is among the lamest. Since then, I've been lifting seats elsewhere to check, though. Power of suggestion. :rolleyes:

Archived