Chapala.com Webboard

Car parts shipped from the U.S.

Irish Gal

My husband ordered car parts from the U.S. as we are unable to get them here in Mexico. They are being shipped by courier to the Ajijic post office. Does anyone have experience with this and whether or not duty will be charged? TIA

We ordered struts for our Subaru and had them shipped to a Laredo address via our Merkalink account. Merkalink then figures the duty/taxes and ships them to your Mexico address. We paid the 15% tax, but not extra duty. It seems car parts are not such a problem compared to say - clothing! They came to our house via Estafeta - great service. This probably doesn't help much with your question about what will happen with the post office, sorry.

My husband ordered car parts from the U.S. as we are unable to get them here in Mexico. They are being shipped by courier to the Ajijic post office. Does anyone have experience with this and whether or not duty will be charged? TIA

I ordered car parts from San Antonio Texas. The dealer could not ship directly to Mexico. So I had to have them shipped from San Antonio to Laredo Texas. Using MAILBOXES Laredo address they were shipped from Texas directly to me and picked up at Mailboxes. Paying a double courier charge and the customs duty it greatly increased the cost of the parts. I could not get a breakdown of the costs because the invoice was removed at Customs but think the courier ran about $70 each. Parts were made in Korea and not covered under NAFTA so customs duty applied.

I had a power steering pump shipped to our Ajijic PO , no duty and it arrived within 7 days .It was shipped priority Mail from South Carolina $37 usd .

Archived