Chapala.com Webboard

Patzcuaro for Furniture

Ohjoni

We need to furnish an entire house and hear you can find beautiful furniture and copper in Patzcuaro. Any information on exactly where to shop would be greatly appreciated. I understand you can also purchase copper nearby. How far and where? We are planning to being there approximately June 17-19. Anyone living in the area of Morelia or Patzcuaro...would love to get together.

There are many places around the lake, each with it's own style of decoration. My favorite is Pichitaro, between Zirahuen and Uruapan. By chance I will be housesitting in Patz at that time, and will be happy to share my info in person. I don't know how to do a pm on this forum, but my email address is camillenparadise@hotmail.com.

IMHO, if you want rustic (i.e., unfinished furniture made of close-to-unseasoned wood), you'll find a lot of it in Pátzcuaro. There is also a good bit of painted furniture. Almost all of both kinds of furniture sold in Pátzcuaro come from Cuanajo, a tiny town up in the mountains near Pátzcuaro. You can also go directly to Cuanajo to buy, but you will need fairly fluent Spanish (or Purhépecha) to work with the sellers.

Read more about Cuanajo here: http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2008/11/fiestas-and-artesan%C3%ADa-in-cuanajo-michoac%C3%A1n.html

Camille's suggestion, the town of Pichátaro, will give you more or less the same styles of rustic furniture that you'll find in Pátzcuaro. Read more about Pichátaro here: http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2009/10/san-francisco-pich%C3%A1taro-michoac%C3%A1n-pueblo-en-el-bosque-town-in-the-woods.html.

The photos of the Pichátaro furniture on the website are from the annual carved furniture competition and are not 100% representative of the quality of furniture usually available from sellers in the town.

Santa Clara del Cobre, about 10 miles south of Pátzcuaro, is the best suggestion for buying both inexpensive and VERY expensive copper pieces. I particularly like the copper workshop Felicítas, located at Pino Suárez #88, just around the corner from the copper museum. The photo in Sparks' post was taken at Felicítas.

I used to be in the business of Furniture Design and Importing- we used to buy from a company call " Guare" in Patscuaro-Guare is located somewhere near Mexico City- but their workshop was near Patscuaro.

Designs were done by a woman-and then Hand painted in Lacquer, armoires, bars, console tables etc. Very " High End" one of a kind pieces-we wholesaled her pieces for $2500.00-4000.00 US-- its been about 7-8 years ago- fabulous pieces. Guare is listed in google- but I didn't spend any time looking - you might want to check it out if you're looking for unique high end designs.

I used to be in the business of Furniture Design and Importing- we used to buy from a company call " Guare" in Patscuaro-Guare is located somewhere near Mexico City- but their workshop was near Patscuaro.

Designs were done by a woman-and then Hand painted in Lacquer, armoires, bars, console tables etc. Very " High End" one of a kind pieces-we wholesaled her pieces for $2500.00-4000.00 US-- its been about 7-8 years ago- fabulous pieces. Guare is listed in google- but I didn't spend any time looking - you might want to check it out if you're looking for unique high end designs.

Read here: http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2010/05/art-and-beauty-in-erongar%C3%ADcuaro-michoac%C3%A1n-a-riot-of-color-at-uneamich-mfa-eronga.html.

This is probably not Guare, but close enough. And yes, the prices are off the charts--many pieces cost even more than the prices you quote.

Read here: http://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2010/05/art-and-beauty-in-erongar%C3%ADcuaro-michoac%C3%A1n-a-riot-of-color-at-uneamich-mfa-eronga.html.

This is probably not Guare, but close enough. And yes, the prices are off the charts--many pieces cost even more than the prices you quote.

You are talking about Steve Rosenthal - right? His family (in-laws I think) has an outlet store in Tucson and the prices are through the roof there too.

You are talking about Steve Rosenthal - right? His family (in-laws I think) has an outlet store in Tucson and the prices are through the roof there too.

Yes, the Mexico Cooks! article clearly states that the retail business is owned by Steve and Marina Rosenthal, and that Steve--not anyone else in the family--is in Tucson operating the retail store.

The workshop is owned collectively by the artists, which is also stated in the article.

Yes, the Mexico Cooks! article clearly states that the retail business is owned by Steve and Marina Rosenthal, and that Steve--not anyone else in the family--is in Tucson operating the retail store.

The workshop is owned collectively by the artists, which is also stated in the article.

Sorry - I didn't get into the article, just went on what you said. I will now go and do my duty and read the article.

Does anyone know the best way to pay for furniture. If we purchase multiple pieces, I sure don't want to carry around that much cash. I would think that most of the sellers wouldn't take credit cards. Any ideas?

Does anyone know the best way to pay for furniture. If we purchase multiple pieces, I sure don't want to carry around that much cash. I would think that most of the sellers wouldn't take credit cards. Any ideas?

Cash, as checks on American or Canadian banks won't be accepted either.

Some stores in Pátzcuaro do take credit cards, but none do in either Cuanajo or Pichátaro. If you're buying in Pátzcuaro, you'll find ATMs at all the banks on or near the two main plazas. Take out cash as you need it--depending on your daily withdrawal limit, of course.

I live in Morelia, if you're planning on coming this way.

Read here: http://mexicocooks.t...fa-eronga.html.

Thanks Liana- very similar- could be the same artisan group- my prices were discounted wholesale-and also from about 2001-2

prices today have certainly gone up and the prices in the catalog on the web site are retail prices.

I still lust after one piece sold to one of my design clients who was remodeling a kitchen that cost almost $200,000.00 in 2002. We did her floors in the remodel entirely in Cantera 18 inch tiles. The armoire was lacquered in turquoise with Mexican fruits painted on the upper doors- it went in the breakfast area. sigh

Thanks to privido and More Liana for providing the links to Guare and for their comments.

Looks as though I was wrong about going to the Ptzcuaro area for furniture. Also my wife informs me that we have two bar stools in our home that come from that area (designs on the back, very like those in the pictures provided). Perhaps we will need a trip to Patzcuaro and vicinity soon.

And that $200,000 kitchen must be something!

Archived