Chapala.com Webboard

Pedros

budman123

May is the month that a lot of the local restaurants take vacation time - but Pedro has an ad for Pedro's Gourmet in both El Ojo del Lago and last Friday's Guad. Reporter - why not call the restaurant to check - 766-4747. That is better than dropping the idea that the restaurant has closed onto a web site from which it can spread into a "fact" and cause damage to the business.

Sign in the door of Pedro's on Ocampo says "Pedro's is closed" Thank you for the business.

It is officially closed according to an ad in Guad Reporter.

He will be selling off furnishings the end of the month.

Even Jeanne C. wrote about him in her column.

It is officially closed according to an ad in Guad Reporter.

He will be selling off furnishings the end of the month.

Even Jeanne C. wrote about him in her column.

That's sad - the end of an era but perhaps his Go Club is doing so well, he can't give attention to both of them.

Many of us fondly remember 'Pimienta Negra', a Middle Eastern restaurant in the same location, prior to Pedro. 9/11 killed their business, which was quite unfair, as they were from Guadalara; he of Lebanese extraction and she 100% Tapatio, a nice family with a small child.

Ah yes, we also have very fond memories of wonderful meals at Pimiento Negro. We loved the food and the owners. They were just delightful. I'll never forget a wonderful evening when they had a special event with food and a belly-dancer from GDL. She was 40 yrs. old and had the body of a 16 yr. old. She danced for 90 minutes nonstop and entertained the entire restaurant. It was really magical. Sorry they closed but have also enjoyed Pedro's as well.

I hope he does well with any new venture. It's a beautiful location and perhaps a new place will come in. Sure would be nice to have some great Indian food in the area.....I keep hoping. Sorry that Paul Bhalla left GDL and returned to CA. I was really hoping he'd come lakeside...

Valerie

We were also at Pimienta Negra on the night you mention and it was magical, until you revealed that the dancer was actually 40! She was very good & appeared there on several occasions. We lived nearby, at that time, and when we heard her music, we would rush over. Somewhere, I have movies of her performances.

I know the young family moved to the state of Morelos an opened 'Pimienta Negra' there, but I don't know if they succeeded in that endeavor or not; I hope so.

We were also at Pimienta Negra on the night you mention and it was magical, until you revealed that the dancer was actually 40! She was very good & appeared there on several occasions. We lived nearby, at that time, and when we heard her music, we would rush over. Somewhere, I have movies of her performances.

I know the young family moved to the state of Morelos an opened 'Pimienta Negra' there, but I don't know if they succeeded in that endeavor or not; I hope so.

Talking to Pedro, you will discover he's tired after being in the business for so long, and GO is his way of slowly letting go. Because it's in his home, and smaller, everything is that much easier.

I doubt if Go will last either. Peter doesn't seem to want to work hard enough (ie be open a lot more days and hours). I quit trying to go to Pedro's as it never seemed to be open. Restauranting is so competitive you really should be open 7 days a week and at least for lunch and supper.

cedros - I agree. I think he just wants to work part time. People want the convenience of going to any restaurant 6 out of 7 days a week. We, our Dinner Group stopped going to Pedro's years ago, although a couple in the group would go for lunch. I stopped going when 3 of 6 in our group got "very" sick the next day. There were flies everywhere and Pedro was running around swatting them. Yuk.

I do wish him luck with his new venture, but wouldn't climb 3 flights of stairs for any restaurant here. Restaurants with the fewest steps are easiest for us old folks.

Talking to Pedro, you will discover he's tired after being in the business for so long, and GO is his way of slowly letting go. Because it's in his home, and smaller, everything is that much easier.

Peter has and continues to be very generous in his outreach to various organization's..thank you Peter

As do many, many other Restauranteurs in the area, especially those who host the Shriner's and then give a bundle on top as a donation. There are some really good hearted business owners here who should be applauded for their efforts, such as Tony's, Manix and Hacienda Ajijic.

We just had a great meal at GO tonight. Pedro is looking 10 years younger since he's only operating GO. He's relaxed and enjoying himself and surely he's entitled to that. As to an earlier comment that he just wants to work part-time, I ask "And the problem with that is, ???" He's open from Wednesday dinner through late Saturday. Because we really like his new menu, we just go when he's open. There are plenty of other restaurants to dine at the other three days of the week! I guess some people just like to complain. Both my husband and I have health issues but we manage to climb those stairs.

If you were referring to my post, let me just be clear: I applaud him for doing it. I'm happy he's still going.

Archived