Chapala.com Webboard

The Social Security Interview

I'm sorry people have had these problems.  But I have to say....When my husband died suddenly, I didn't experience this. I was aware of procedures and how the government functions.  I immediately took a deep breath and told myself I could grieve later.  Within 24 hours, all money with his name on it anywhere was moved to an account with only my name. Fortunately (??) there was not a lot of it.  He had 1 credit card with a low balance which I paid and then put a hold on.  Later, when I had death certificates, I closed these accounts with no problem.   I contacted SS and got in their que.  An english speaking rep called me back within 5 days.  

Admittedly, if I had been dealing with a lot of money and investment accounts etc. it probably would not have been as easy.  I guess there's one advantage to being poor.

4 hours ago, NEWMtnMama said:

Keep in mind that government workers are under the stress of having a government shutdown and loss of income during the holiday season due to a few selfish Congress critters. If they are short tempered and easily frustrated who can blame them?

US government workers do not forfeit income in a government shutdown. just a delayed pay check for not working.

• Like 3