Chapala.com Webboard

Old fashioned air conditioning

I used to have double hung, double tilt windows at our farmhouse in Ontario. How I miss them! However, I did pick up a trick further in the article which I have been doing A$$ backwards. I thought if I directed the fan to suck in air from the outside at night that it was the best way. I'll be trying the reverse tonight. All my windows get opened up at around 10 pm and closed again around 7 am thus trapping the cool air inside. Ceiling fans maintain the cool during the day. 

Victorian ‘hack’ gives you free air conditioning with the right windows (msn.com)

• Like 2

And cupolas with windows all around them near the top, also play into this - hot air rises out, cold air enters  and falls.       Vented skylights work the same way.     

• Like 1

Well, that tip I picked up didn't work well for my situation. I have very large windows and the lower sill is about 2 feet from the floor.  The way that I am going back to has the fan sucking in cool air from the outside at the bottom of the window while the ceiling fan shunts the hot air out the top of the window. I think this is creating a circular flow of air in the same manner that the double hung window does. Always worth it to try out something new but sometimes you just don't mess with what works.

• Like 2