Chapala.com Webboard

My TotalPlay optical fiber Internet installed in Ajijic! FASTER than Telmex and ILOX. 40, 100, 200 or 500 megabit/sec

Yes, the fiber optic is actually routed through Jocopotec before it routes to Ajijic, the backbone comes from Gualadajara-to-Jocopotec.  That sounds like they installed fiber along Highway 80 then Highway 15, because they probably had cheaper running rights for their mega reel of fiber backbone...

That's why TotalPlay arrived a bit sooner towards the west than towards the east.  

Telmex has been playing catch-up to TotalPlay and iLox also expanded coverage, so some Casa addresses have 3 fiber optic ISPs competing against each other now!  

So check all 3 of them, fiber is very common in 2023 now in most Lakeside locations, though some "Remote" locations (e.g. farms or isolated homes, or very far up mountain) may not have it far from the carterra.  But even most of the mansions high up on the mountain seems to now be reached by TotalPlay.  TotalPlay is generally preferred, followed by Telmex, followed by iLox, in my experience.

You may even try to get 2 connections installed at the same time - one being used as a backup.  You can keep the monthly bill low on one of them ($20/mo equivalent) and spend more on the other.  Knowing local Internet reliability is poor on non-fiber, paying 2 ISPs also causes them to race against each other to outdo each other.

Also the fact that copper thieves and rise in copper value, means fiber is now cheaper than copper, so new deploys are now fiber -- when new towns are built today, it's already fiber from the outset, as fiber per meter is now much cheaper than copper per meter this decade. In other words, new telephone lines being installed in new towns next to already-fiber towns, are going straight to fiber now.

Even Telmex knocked on my door to upgrade my DSL connection to fiber, long after my 500/500 symmetric TotalPlay.  I haven't bitten yet as it is only backup, and it's just a sub-400 peso connection as a backup, and I had modified my on-property telephone wire to upgrade DSL from 5/2 to 50/10 (direct wire to modem, bypassing house wiring), and simultaneously removed a pigeon poop perch above my front courtyard (yay).   But if I do upgrade, then I'd have dual-FTTH!

One big side effect of disposable price of cheap fiber, the new FTTH competition boom is the massive messes they're making on the shared telephone poles, but tolerate that for a decade (or two), it gets cleaned up eventually once all the old copper lines are removed and some ugly messes are replaced with neater fiber bundle upgrades.  It's like 1880's telegraph wire messes all over again.  Damn fine price to pay for cheap reliable fiber Internet.

BTW, while you can get entry level fiber for less than 400 pesos per month (a steal compared to DSL), both Totalplay and Telmex now offers gigabit speed plans.  If you go that fast, then Telmex is slightly cheaper at $1499 pesos per month, which is cheaper than some of the North American gigabit options (especially Comcast pricing), you should consider also bundle-in the Disney+ and streaming plans as the Mexican pricing is relatively cheap.  There's been good price-cutting at the fastest speeds so my TotalPlay 500/500 is a bit cheaper than it was thanks to the competition.   Speed/plan changes are just a WhatsApp chat away for me.

• Thanks 1