Chapala.com Webboard

Internet/Phone lines

Over the past 5/6 weeks my Telmex internet service has gone from poor to maddening. Not just slow service but no service much of the day and evening. It does come on intermittently. The phone line works fine. I live in west Chapala so location is not the issue. Repeated trips to the Telmex office (7 or 8 times) requesting service have been futile. No techs have come out to check the line. I did get a call Sunday night around 7:30 of all times quizzing me on the problem and a report # was generated but that's it. The office did give me a new modem a couple of weeks ago which did not correct the problem. So a couple of questions.

If the problem is in the line inside my house is it my responsibility to get it repaired/replaced? If so any recommendations as to who can do this work?

Also, excepting telecable, are there any other viable, competent options for Internet service here at Lakeside these days?

P.S. My Telmex Internet service worked just fine for a couple of years. My problems began when they supposedly upgraded the program and gave us all new modems. Go figure!

Gracias

I was experiencing about what you have. I live in Rancho del Oro and have had regular service... e.g. sometimes none... I made multiple calls and finally a tech showed up... Super guy who tightened connections at the box and my service has been much improved almost to NOB status.

Normally utilities responsibilities end at the property line or exterior connection box... My guess is that your problem is probably not internal... Suggest you stay on Telmex until they send a tech...

First, call Mexico City tech support. They are far-better equipped to handle issues such as these than the sad bunch at the Ajijic office. 01-800-123-2222. The majority of the new modems need to have the signal/noise ratio adjusted at their end. And they are much more efficient at prioritizing line tests and technicians. If your problem started with the new modems, then it should be an easy fix.

If the wiring in your house is the problem, yes, it is your responsibility. I know a guy named Jose who is good, but many people complain about his prices: very gringo-ized.

No, there are no other quality Internet options here, other than TeleCable, who's record is hit-and-miss.

5 hours ago, losgatos said:

Over the past 5/6 weeks my Telmex internet service has gone from poor to maddening. Not just slow service but no service much of the day and evening. It does come on intermittently. The phone line works fine. I live in west Chapala so location is not the issue. Repeated trips to the Telmex office (7 or 8 times) requesting service have been futile. No techs have come out to check the line. I did get a call Sunday night around 7:30 of all times quizzing me on the problem and a report # was generated but that's it. The office did give me a new modem a couple of weeks ago which did not correct the problem. So a couple of questions.

If the problem is in the line inside my house is it my responsibility to get it repaired/replaced? If so any recommendations as to who can do this work?

Also, excepting telecable, are there any other viable, competent options for Internet service here at Lakeside these days?

P.S. My Telmex Internet service worked just fine for a couple of years. My problems began when they supposedly upgraded the program and gave us all new modems. Go figure!

Gracias

Did it start just about the time of that first big rain?

I can tell you how to check until someone arrives.

1. Disconnect all phones and see what happens.  Each phone should have a little gizmo and the phones should only be plugged into the phone output and there has to be one on each phone.

2. Trace the phone line from the pole to your house.  There is probably a box somewhere in the line.  Check and make sure the box is dry and the terminals are tight.  You can take them off (one at a time) clean them and put them back.

3. Check the line all the way to the house.  The gardener next door cuts mine up once or twice a year where it goes through the vines.

4. Open every phone box inside and clean the screws where the phone lines come in.  Replace the boxes if corroded (Steren has the parts)

5. If that solves the problem, plug the phones back in one at a time to see which is the problem.

6.  If none of that cures the problem, call *2222 and ask for English.  That is the internet help desk.

7. goto http://speedof.me/ and run it before starting and after your work and see if it improves

8. Type this into the address bar:  http://192.168.1.254.  This should show you your router and you can see how it is set for speed (don't make changes)  

Archived