Chapala.com Webboard

Tracing a cell phone

ritchie

Is there anyway to trace a cell phone number to see who it belongs to at Lake Chapala?

Someone is trying to scam/extort (?) us and wondered how to check this or report it. We live in Texas but the calls are coming from a cell phone in the Lake Chapala area.

We lived in Ajijic for 4 years and moved back to the states a year ago.

Thank you for any help.

While you can't trace the number, the police can. A friend was receiving similar calls a few years ago, they knew his name, his wife and daughter's names, etc, and told him if he didn't send $, they would kill them. He reported this to the police, I think the federales, and some time later they told him they had traced the calls to a govt. office in Mexico City. The calls were being made after hours, so could have been someone on cleaning or security staff.

As you no longer live Lakeside, maybe you have friends who could report this number you are receiving these calls from to the police there. However, just because the cell phone has a Chapala area code doesn't mean they are calling from there.

The ministerio publico can trace cell phone calls and have geolocators where they can find the person using the phone. That is if they have a reason to get off their duff and go to the trouble, first you need to file a report and then they need to investigate.

Thanks to all of you. Since we live up in Texas it would be difficult to file a report. Thanks Spencer and everyone.

I do have two detective's numbers in Guad. that was part of the ongoing investigation back some time ago for the Owens girl.

So far he has not contacted us again. I can block his number if he calls again.

Archived