Chapala.com Webboard

Telecable Service Outage

A quick update with a good result. I couldn't get through to Telecable on the phone so I sent an email using the contact form on the Telecable web page. I assumed it was just a futile gesture and I would just have to wait until someone noticed that the connection was not working. Well, I was wrong. Not long after I sent the email, I received an email from tech support asking me to turn the modem off and then on again (completed when I first noticed the outage but done again just for the sake of it). Further, the email asked for my account details and a more detailed description of the problem. All of this was included in the original email but I dutifully rewrote the requested information. There aren't a lot of ways to describe a service outage. But I tried. I was also effusively polite by US standards, I'm learning to not be so bruto. I don't know if it was coincidence or with the technicians help but about 15 minutes after sending the email, my service was restored. Ah, success.

Telecable has CNN, CNN in HD, CNNI (international in English) and CNNE (Spanish). Remember that not only the US and Canada, but Mexico also upgraded to digital signals. They are on Telecable Channels 602, 608, 609, & in HD on channel 782. The also have DW, BBC and FOX news.

All are working fine.

We recently added Telecable "service" to our rental house in upper La Floresta (last road towards the mountain side, and almost to Tubolandia). We have had a LOT of outages. Some are of short to moderate duration, but far too many are epically and tragically long. :-( For example our Internet "service" was OUT more than it was IN all day Sunday. :-/ It has been OUT for several hours tonight. I had hoped that their acquisition by Megacable would have pumped in some much-needed capital to improve some of these problems, apparently not. :-/ I'm not sure WHY there are such long outages... is it a distance from switch issue like with HellMex? It's hard to believe that it's a "line quality" issue since most of their cable runs have been recently updated here in upper La Floresta, and other areas. I've tried restarting the modem a gazillion times, that does no good. When it's OUT it's OUT.

Does anyone have Hellacable installed in the Tio Domingo area, south of Ocampo and down close to the lake? We are looking at a house to buy down that way, but do not want to be cut off from the world. HellMex provides the house a "sludge rate" of 1.2 Mbps. WHOA! I mean SLOW! I talked with them and they said that the very best we could EVER hope for at that location is 2 Mbps. (Well hey, I guess that Carlos Slim can't be expected let go of any of his billions to improve on that level of "service" now can he?). So Hellacable, even as unreliable as it is, at least offers a rate of speed beyond "snail" when they deign to turn it on.

Any input on Hellacable's reliability out that way would be most welcome. I have also tried to contact Laguna.net several times. Apparently Rod has more business than he can handle b/c he hasn't bothered to return any of my messages. :-/

If someone could provide reasonably fast, reliable Internet down here, they could rule the world. Please wake me if that happens.

We just got it in San Juan Cosala. It's worked really well. A few short outages on network channels. No buffering!

Carol

We just got it in San Juan Cosala. It's works really well. A few short outages on network channels. No buffering!

Carol

Telecable has CNN, CNN in HD, CNNI (international in English) and CNNE (Spanish). Remember that not only the US and Canada, but Mexico also upgraded to digital signals. They are on Telecable Channels 602, 608, 609, & in HD on channel 782. The also have DW, BBC and FOX news.

All are working fine.

Yes, but you neglect to note that Telecable is not offering this super-duper digital upgrade for free. I watch very little TV and don't feel the need to pay 200 pesos just for CNN. If digital is the NEW standard, why charge extra?

They charge more because there are many many more channels and the quality of the signal is much higher in both SD and HD. And at today's exchange rate that 200 pesos is less than $13 US dollars per month.

Does anyone have Hellacable installed in the Tio Domingo area, south of Ocampo and down close to the lake? We are looking at a house to buy down that way, but do not want to be cut off from the world. HellMex provides the house a "sludge rate" of 1.2 Mbps. WHOA! I mean SLOW! I talked with them and they said that the very best we could EVER hope for at that location is 2 Mbps. (Well hey, I guess that Carlos Slim can't be expected let go of any of his billions to improve on that level of "service" now can he?). So Hellacable, even as unreliable as it is, at least offers a rate of speed beyond "snail" when they deign to turn it on.

Any input on Hellacable's reliability out that way would be most welcome. I have also tried to contact Laguna.net several times. Apparently Rod has more business than he can handle b/c he hasn't bothered to return any of my messages. :-/

If someone could provide reasonably fast, reliable Internet down here, they could rule the world. Please wake me if that happens.

I have a client in La Huerta gated (right across from Tio Domingo) that got fed up with TelMex and switched to Telecable, a few months ago, and gets a much better speed. She may well comment here with her experience. As for Rod, he has other business concerns and I don't think he's interested in taking on new customers, although he is certainly servicing his existing customers.

They charge more because there are many many more channels and the quality of the signal is much higher in both SD and HD. And at today's exchange rate that 200 pesos is less than $13 US dollars per month.

Sorry, but I don't need more channels and, sadly, Wolf Blitzer is no better in digital than analog. Living a bit lower on the hill, I find that 200 pesos is still a tidy sum for what was formerly included in the basic package. (BTW, I pay my bills in pesos NOT in converted dollars at the current exchange rate.)

Archived