Chapala.com Webboard

Oxygen Concentrators & us Customs

Zeb

For sure, you need to get info from your airline. Recently (over the holidays) there was a big ruckus when one of the airlines would not let a passenger aboard because their oxygen did not meet airline nor FAA requirements. The next step would be to go to the USCBP website for information. There's also a telephone contact number posted.

I think that oxygen bottles are prohibited, but small battery/110v oxygen concentrators can be used. There are several models that are specifically approved for airline travel. However, there are two hurdles to overcome: They are very expensive and I never did find any available in Mexico. A medical prescription is required in the USA, unfortunately.

So, let Google be your friend and you might be lucky enough to find a used portable oxygen concentrator available. A friend might have to bring it down for you; wearing it, of course, to get “personal medical equipment“ through customs.

If driving, as we did, portable bottles were in the car, but I did not have to use oxygen on the trip, as I was a quiet passenger and high elevations were brief.

Archived